Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Smell of gas 94 protege doc 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Default Smell of gas 94 protege doc 1.8

I have a persistent smell of gas in the cabin of the car that gets bad enough to cause slight physical discomfort. Codes are camshaft positioning sensor and vris solenoid. No clue if either one of these could be contributing.

Evap canister and valve are new, Catalytic converter is new all in an attempt to address the issue with no success. Its back to the drawing board having run out of ideas.

The gas smell is worse during around town driving, accelerating up hills, and after releasing the accelerator and braking. I'm guessing the vapors are filling the engine compartment and getting into the cabin at those times.

Its the only car I have and Ive already put alot of work into to keep it running, so giving up and scrapping is an absolutely last resort. I need help fellas, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. WW

Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM

*****:
You are sitting on a time bomb in more than one way:
1. Once you have enough fuel air mixture under the hood and a source of ignition your car could blow up.
2. If you inhale enough hydrocarbons (gasoline) you significantly increase the odds of getting cancer of the bladder......years later.

Make sure all fuel lines are in perfect condition. You really need to put the fuel lines under pressure to find external leaks. Also make sure that the fuel injectors don't leak to the outside. In this case I would pull them and replace the o-rings.

I think the leak is in the fuel system. You clearly state it smells like gasoline, not like exhaust fumes. Is there someone who could put his nose to work to confirm this? One whiff doesn't kill anyone, breathing it all the time for a long time causes cancer.

The camshaft position sensor is important to get the proper timing for spark and fuel injection. So yes it could be a contributing factor, but I would expect miss fires, excessive fuel consumption, lack of power, rough idle or stalling. You still have a leak somewhere. You did not indicate any of that.

The VRIS is affecting the way the engine aspirates at various RPMs. Again it could contribute but I doubt that it is the underlying problem. There must be a leak.

Now, if you have misfires there will be unburned fuel entering the exhaust side of the engine. Is your exhaust in tip top shape? No exhaust leaks at least until past the catalytic converter and under the cabin? Are the EGR pipes and valve o.k?
How about the PCV hoses and valve? O-ring of the oil filler cap?

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-17-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:36 AM

Tan, first, thanks for your concern and the reply.

I stuck my nose everywhere it would fit. No leaks in the fuel system. No leaks in the exhaust. gas smell ONLY when there is a load on the engine. Not at idle or racing. The car does idle rough, and is underpowered IMO, but I chalked it up to being just tired. Sorry if I omitted that. Seems to me the engine tells the computer its lean, and the part that gets the gas lets it leak. Forgive the farmers logic, its the only thing I have to go on. I've read that if the CRS is bad there will be no spark. Not my problem. I dont want to diagnose around known faults, but I also dont want to replace the dustributor if its not bad. Vris one part will be ordered. I will update when I know more. Thank you. WW

Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM

I think it is time for a compression test.
While you are at it: get a proper fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge. I am thinking your muffler might be clogged.

How to Use a Vacuum Gauge to Diagnose Engine Problems - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJF5Lli4xq8

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 AM

Tan - 500 in parts and a week without a car addressing the exhaust issues. If it's still clogged Midas and I are going to have a come to Jesus.

Any brand name suggestions for the vacuum gauge? I will check ebay and pawn shops.
WW

Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 AM

I forgot you had a visit with Midas.
See if you can get a set of gauges on loan from the parts store.
If I needed to buy one I would stay away from the cheapest.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:04 PM

in the 2003 protege, you have access to the fuel pump thru the trunk. there is a seal there and some hoses. if the seal or the rubber hoses are bad and have leak, the fumes will get into the trunk and into the cabin. again, im not sure how is the configuration in the 94... check on that.