Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Radiator Overheating/Cooling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Default Radiator Overheating/Cooling Problem

Hi, first of all I'm a chic, which is not to say all chic's don't have a clue as to the mechanics of a car, but this chic is limited. So here's my problem. My 2000 Mazda Protege (1.6 4L) was overheating. The radiator was leaking badly. So, I replaced the radiator. Still overheating. So I then noticed the cooling fan (the one on the drivers side) was not coming on so I replaced that also. And yes, it does come on. I checked it by turning on the a/c and both fans now spin. I took the car for a test drive and the damn thing overheated AGAIN. Now I noticed that the fan not only comes on but it STAYS on. Should it not cycle on and off? I drove for a good while and the temp gauge stayed in the optimum range for quite some time before it started creeping up into the red zone. Also, it seemed that it would start to creep up while at a stop and then drop a bit when I accelerated before deciding no, it did indeed want to overheat. AGAIN. What to look for now? Relay switch? Something not connected correctly? What? Please help!! I'm not scared to get under the hood and give it a try if I'm not removing too many parts, lol.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Carry out a TK test ( combustion gases in coolant) if that passes then,

Remove your thermostat, flush the entire cooling system, fit a new thermostat, fill the cooling system with the correct type & concentration of coolant, bleed the system then fit a brand new radiator cap.

Road test & report back.