Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Protege 2000 - Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Default Protege 2000 - Won't start

1.8 Litre won't start. Cranks over but doesn't catch. Checked fuel at rail, spark at plugs, cam, crank and throttle sensors are within ohms 'resistance' spec. 47,000 km's. Checked timing belt - not broken. No codes on reader. I'm out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated. Fuel tank is at 1/4, therefore I don't think it's bad gas.
I replaced plugs, fuel filter, air filter less than a year ago. Car was running fine till a couple of days ago when it just decided to die while on the road. It did stall once 2 days prior, but restarted right away. Any ideas would be appreciated. Any way to check the PCM easily? Thanks,

Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 PM

Well ummm i had a similar problem with my 96 eclipse it could be the alternator is not charging the battery fully the alternator might have a burnt terminal or something like a wire has disconnected and check the battery to or have someone charge but i would definatley check the alternator

Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Default 2000 Protrege won't start

Thanks for your response, but I Finally gave up and had the car towed to the dealership. Ended up being the timing belt had 'skipped' due to a faulty tensioner. It's funny because I did open the cam cover and check to see if the timing belt was broken, but it was still tight. Unfortunately I couldn't see if the timing marks were lined up. $750.00 bucks later ($400 parts / $350 labour) it's back on the road. Funny thing, the dealer called me Friday afternoon (10 minutes before they were going to close) to let me know that the car was ready but the drivers side window woudn't close. I don't live too far, so I drove it home (froze my *** off) but none of the windows work, so it's back to the tools this weekend... hopefully it'll be something easy!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by rtarga
Thanks for your response, but I Finally gave up and had the car towed to the dealership. Ended up being the timing belt had 'skipped' due to a faulty tensioner. It's funny because I did open the cam cover and check to see if the timing belt was broken, but it was still tight. Unfortunately I couldn't see if the timing marks were lined up. $750.00 bucks later ($400 parts / $350 labour) it's back on the road. Funny thing, the dealer called me Friday afternoon (10 minutes before they were going to close) to let me know that the car was ready but the drivers side window woudn't close. I don't live too far, so I drove it home (froze my *** off) but none of the windows work, so it's back to the tools this weekend... hopefully it'll be something easy!
Oh that is weird well good luck in fixing it man

Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM

if window worked when dealer took car, why is it your prob to fix???