Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Passengers Door Power Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Default Passengers Door Power Unlock

Hey all I just got a 2000 Protege LX given to me. Ive been going over the car and one problem it has is the power unlock passengers door doesnt work just makes a grinding noise. I took door apart and removed the assembly opened up the actuating motor and found the small white gear inside broken. Went to junkyard and picked up a replacement, my stupidity I didnt test it before coming home, turns out it had same problem.. I went back next day and got a passengers rear door one but wire was a little short so i just pulled out the gear and came home. I was kinda thinking it should be the same..(I hope) anyways put it together and it works fine. But I cant open and lock the door manually??? Ive tried everything to no avail... If I remove the motor the rod moves up and down locking unlocking door fine but as soon as I attach the motor it wont work manually only with power it works... Wrecker only had the one protege with power locks and the drivers door one has 4 wires so its different...I shoulda grabbed the entire thing since maybe the gear is slightly different I dunno looks exactly the same to me...I tried to lube it up but still the same. I did notice that the spine shaft is a touch bigger but that dosent affect anything since I pulled out the entire assembly together. Im thinking that when u pull up or push down door lock arm its supposed to move motor gear into a neutral position, until u use power switch which then works it electrically. I was going to remove the rear passengers door panel and compare it but I ran outta time and patience.. It works like that but I think that its a matter of time before it gets broken from anyone pulling on it.Any help would be great thanks

Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Well people I found out my problem with the door unlock turned out that it was something with the small motor or the spiral plastic shaft. I got another complete motor from wreckers and installed it and it works great only mod I had to do ws on wiring harness as it was shorter than original since i removed it from rear passengers door lock mechanism...Im still perplexed as I couldnt see anything really wrong with original motor. The thing was it wasnt allowing manual movement to unlock lock door,could have been any one thing that was stopping it like the small gear on motor itself, there could have been wear on gear just enough to jam it who knows