Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1997 Protege - external headlight solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Default 1997 Protege - external headlight solutions?

Hello,

This is a bit of an odd post, I know, but maybe someone can help? I've had this car ('97 Protege) for over 10 years and it's still in good running condition. Doesn't look so hot, but runs well. It's been used, and still is used, for a lot of night northern country night driving (in Ontario, Canada). Over the last year the headlights have become, well, pretty much useless. I've had all the wiring replaced, new lamps/bulbs, tried high intensity bulbs, etc. Nothing has seemed to help. Other than replacing the entire headlight system, which still may not help at this point, I'm wondering if I have an options for some sort of external headlight solution?

The model doesn't have the space/holes for fog lamps, but I'm wondering if there are any "external" headlight kits (or headlight/fog light combos) that I could use when on long drives at night with zero road lighting?

If anyone has any suggestions, it be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristin.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Default RE: 1997 Protege - external headlight solutions?

One thing you might to try is cleaning the lenses. This helped me out a little. Mequires makes a product for reconditioning plastic headlight lenses, check their website. Another thing to look at is the condition of the plugs. There is a known problem with them melting over time. The easiest thing to do is go to the junkyard and get some good ones and splice them in. You have to be careful adding driving lights that may draw more amperage than the generator can put out.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Default RE: 1997 Protege - external headlight solutions?

Thanks for the info.
Yet, the plugs had started melting about 2 years ago and I had 'em replaced with new ones. I'll give that lens cleaning a shot and see if that helps...
Thanks again,
k.