Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

overheated, possably cooked protege5 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Exclamation overheated, possably cooked protege5 2002

OK so i just got my first Mazda it is a 2002 protege5 hatch back fully loaded every thing 2.0 DOHC so i was having my fun but one day there seemed to be a coolant leak and it was smoking a bit when i got to work and i could smell some thing burning,
so i worked my shift after my shift i went to get some coolant (dumb me i didn't put water or any thing in it) so i get to wal mart (as i am pulling in there is smoke coming from under the hood) get the coolant in there drive it a bit starts to over heat again so i park, coolant is leaking out so i let her cool down i then drive her home very gently i get home shut her off find the coolant leak and about to plug it but i fill it back up turn her over and let her idle a bit and i also notice that the air filter it a little loose (so that way there is no filtered air it is just sucking in straight air not filter) so i go in to ask my dad some thing i come back out the car revs up to 3000 RPM by its self then dies down to 200-300 RPM i shut the car off in panic put the air filter the right way check all the coolant and oil and every thing and then when i go to turn her back over it doesn't turn over i have tried many times now when i go to turn over all i hear is the sound of a cold car trying to start like the half turns they make 2 or 3 times before they actually turn over then just a bunch of clinking noises i have no idea what it is i have been told it could be head gasket all the way down to a starter if any one can help me i will be very happy

Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Congratulations!

You are well on your way to learn something. As my dad used to say: the smart ones learn from their own mistakes, the geniuses learn form other guy's mistakes!

Charge the battery over night on low current. I think your battery just about had it from your constant tries to start. So the starter relay or magnet switch clicks but there is not enough juice to turn it over.

I am curious if this engine survived the abuse. Let us know.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 AM

but that is the thing the battery isnt dead it had a full charge when she died and i tried boosting it to with my friends car his cables were a bit rusty though but i tried 3 different times with the cables so its either crappy cables or a shot motor

Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM

O.K. your battery seems fine. Then you may be right that the engine is kaput. But you want to know for sure. The heat could have killed the valves, in particular the exhaust valves, the piston rings, the head gasket etc. Now you hope that there could be a small item to replace to get a few more miles out of it.
Since your engine doesn't crank at all it may be seized and that is that.
If you have a manual transmission put it into 5th and push the car by hand. If the engine turns over it has not seized and the starter may be shot.
If you have an automatic you need to turn the engine over by hand using a braker bar at the crank pulley.
Also take the spark plugs out for inspection. That also makes it easier to turn the engine over by hand---or by the starter, since any compression is gone.
If the plugs look ugly (compare to the guide in any Haynes manual) decide if you want to buy and try new plugs. It could be wasted money though. A spark tester wont help because you need a running engine. You could use another car to test your plugs.

If it cranks you can check compression or you can do a leak down test with compressed air. There are You-tube videos on these procedures.

Good luck. I think that's all I can tell you, but I would like to know how it goes.

Oh, since the engine revved high the timing may have jumped or the timing belt broke. There is a cover that you can take off to see the belt and sprockets.

Thanks

Tan

Last edited by tanprotege; 11-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Default Interested

Hey man, I hope everything works out on your car. If the engine is shot and your parting it out I would be interested in buying the front bumper and the fog lights.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 AM

well just as i found out the engine DID survive by putting it in 5 and pushing it i heard her turn 3 times, how ever i was about to call a garage and tow truck so that way i could fix it my neighbour is moving and it was parked on the street as i couldnt get it in the drive way... he got stuck in a snow bank went to back up and delmolished my front left quarter panel head light and all the casing and the door plus the frame and the power steering belt.
so it is now undriveable and wrote off, if any one needs yellow parts i will see what the innsurance company says if they let me keep it or take it

Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by yellowlightening
well just as i found out the engine DID survive by putting it in 5 and pushing it i heard her turn 3 times, how ever i was about to call a garage and tow truck so that way i could fix it my neighbour is moving and it was parked on the street as i couldnt get it in the drive way... he got stuck in a snow bank went to back up and delmolished my front left quarter panel head light and all the casing and the door plus the frame and the power steering belt.
so it is now undriveable and wrote off, if any one needs yellow parts i will see what the innsurance company says if they let me keep it or take it

I never have that kind of luck!
Tan

Old 11-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
I never have that kind of luck!
Tan
which kind the engine surviving or the car getting killed ? haha

Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 AM

getting the car killed.......by some one who has insurance!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 PM

yes but yet another bad stroke of luck has happened he didn't hit it with his car or his own van he hit my car with a moving van SO there is 3 insurance company's involved (mine,his,moving van) so now i have the joy of fighting to get what my car is worth and every thing else since it is wrote off at market value i need to go to a dealer and get 2 quotes (one for damage one for what they would have sold it for) to make sure i get my rightful money

Quick Reply: overheated, possably cooked protege5 2002