Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

overdrive light flashes,

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Default overdrive light flashes,

i bought a 95 protege with an automatic, 1.5. the button does not seem to be working to switch to od, i have 12v curent to the switch,when ibypas the switch, nothing, so i think the switch is good, will disconnecting the bat reset this function? and will that throw codes?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Default RE: overdrive light flashes,

Your overdrive light flashing is indicating that a auto transmission related malfunction has occured. The flashing light is the equivalent of the check engine light but only for a transmission related concern. 95 Proteges are about 1/2 OBDII compatible and half not. You might just try to take into Autozone and have them scan for codes and see what number they come up with. Code should start with a P and then have four numerical digits after such as P0750.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM

these are the codes that i have

p0115 temp sensor the guy that had it b4 me had to replace the timming belt and h2o pump

p0110 IAT sensor

p0120 TPS sensor this checks good, however the 3 wires to it all have voltage and from what i hear thats wrong,
i believe this is the o/d light problem

p1195 air sensor

p1402 aux emissions

p1000 fuel air mixture.

my obd2 will not clear these codes, the high $ mac cannot clear the codes, disconnecting the negative cable and pressing the brake will not clear them as well. so if the tps checks good, and all of the other sensors are causing codes, could the computer be bad and how do I check the computer befor i blow alot of cash.

please help

Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 AM

I dont know if you still have this car, but I just got my daughter a 1995 626 and the overdrive light was blinking. I took it toa repair shop and they replaced the mass air flow sensor. It ran fine for about 5 hours. Overdrive light started blinking again. Did not know what to do. I read some of these forums online and saw that one guy had same problem and he unhooked the battery cables let the car sit a minute and hooked them back up. Well I tried this and turns out the car runs perfect after . No hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear. No overdrive light blinking. I dont know how often we will have to do this, but at least it is working now. If you have any other info on this problem, please let me know.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Why in the world would they replace a mass air flow sensor for a transmission related light, code, and problem? MAF has nothing to do with transmission operation. Cleared up for 5 hours because they probably disconnect the battery as well when they discovered that it was not fixed.[:@]
got_psi has problemsmore to do with loss of 5 volt reference signal from the PCM for the majority of codes.
The O/D light flashing means that a transmission related sensor/system failure has been detected. Once the fault is detected and light starts flashing the transmission computer puts the system in fail-safe mode which results in an increase of internal oil line pressure and very hard shifts as a result. Once you clear the codes it will be fine and shifts back to normal untill the failure is detected again and start over.
Ifthe 626 has 4 cylinder engine then codes wouldneed to be read with an older Ford style code reader. Probably needs a transmission anyway if it is the 4 cylinder engine as those transmissions had a very high failure rate. The V6engine transmission much more durable anddifferent code format as it is all Mazda built.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:20 PM

yea, if the overdrive light blinks is a transmission thing, my transmission was slipping and that light was blinking up until it basically broke. if i were you i would get the transmission checked out before you have to pay over 2 g's to get it rebuilt