Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

New to forum having problems with rough idle with engine code p0171

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 PM

ok guys took it to a mechanic shop and they said it has a rough idle because of the motor mounts, they said the top engine mount and the transmission mount are shot my question is how many mounts are on this car?

Is it only two or is there possibly another one?

Also I hear my alternator belt squealing sometimes and they told me the valve cover gasket leak is leaking on the belt which is the truth i can do the valve cover gasket myself but i was wondering when your replacing the gasket does it need some kind of special sealant or can you just replace the gasket without no sealant also is it necessary to use a torque wrench when replacing the gasket?

Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM

get the Haynes manual and read it!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mazpro00
ok guys took it to a mechanic shop and they said it has a rough idle because of the motor mounts, they said the top engine mount and the transmission mount are shot my question is how many mounts are on this car?

Is it only two or is there possibly another one?

Also I hear my alternator belt squealing sometimes and they told me the valve cover gasket leak is leaking on the belt which is the truth i can do the valve cover gasket myself but i was wondering when your replacing the gasket does it need some kind of special sealant or can you just replace the gasket without no sealant also is it necessary to use a torque wrench when replacing the gasket?
LOL at the mechanic shop. Don't go back there.

I have a 2000 Protege with 1.6L. I bought mine with 130,000 miles on it and after replacing timing belt, water pump, radiator hoses, etc. I had a rough idle that would make the car die.

I bit the bullet and changed the intake manifold gasket. This cured the dying issue but it still has a bit of a rough idle which I attribute to the IAC valve. Not ready to spend the $$$ to replace because car runs fine otherwise.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 AM

The car has no vacumm leaks confirmed with smoke machine. Fuel Trims are actually in the normal range since replacing MAF sensor. I am very sure if it was the IAC valve the check engine light would be on and the idle would be jumping really bad. Thats not the case for me my idle is kinda fine no check engine light since replacing MAF sensor.

It is the motor mounts because when your press the gas and brake at the same time you can see the engine moving. I plan on replacing all 4 motor/transmission mounts with beck arnley mounts i heard beck arnley mounts are oem too. I got all 4 of them for $107 brand new just waiting for them to come in the mail now.

Last edited by mazpro00; 10-06-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mazpro00
The car has no vacumm leaks confirmed with smoke machine. Fuel Trims are actually in the normal range since replacing MAF sensor. .........idle is fine no check engine light since replacing MAF sensor.

It is the motor mounts because when your press the gas and brake at the same time you can see the engine moving. I plan on replacing all 4 motor/transmission mounts with beck arnley mounts i heard beck arnley mounts are oem too. I got all 4 of them for $107 brand new just waiting for them to come in the mail now.
You did get rid of check engine light code with MAF change and vac leak inspection.
Yes, visibly, the roughness could be engine mounts, it could also be a lazy worn out O2 sensor. Doing the lacquer thinner trick (as per previous post) would help things as it would help clean up the exhaust including catalytics and O2 sensors.

Also, clean your throttle body, EGR

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-06-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: throttle body clean & EGR
Old 11-10-2013, 08:35 PM

check or replace the pcv valve. also, check your spark plugs. if you have the iridium kind, get rid of them and get the standard type of plugs. my protege hates them. work fine for a while and then starts the rough idle with no check engine light code.

Last edited by Juanky; 11-10-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Juanky
check or replace the pcv valve. also, check your spark plugs. if you have the iridium kind, get rid of them and get the standard type of plugs. my protege hates them. work fine for a while and then starts the rough idle with no check engine light code.
Interesting. What spark plugs are you using?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM

ngk standard type...BKR5ES dont remember the gap, but it was listed in the book. actually, i did not have to adjust the gap, it was ok out of the box.
no joke, if you have iridium type change them.

Last edited by Juanky; 11-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Juanky
ngk standard type...BKR5ES dont remember the gap, but it was listed in the book. actually, i did not have to adjust the gap, it was ok out of the box.
no joke, if you have iridium type change them.
I have iridium's and they are great, best plugs. They run hotter than platinum. Gap? I also have proper spark with hi voltage coils.

COPIED: through recent technological advances, DENSO has harnessed the power of Iridium. DENSO?s patented alloy is composed of iridium, complimented by rhodium (an even stronger metal). The rhodium is added to increase oxidation and wear resistance.
Until recently, platinum was considered the best material to use on the top of an electrode because of its durability. However, Iridium is 6 times harder, 8 times stronger, and has a melting point 1200 degrees higher than platinum. Put that into a harsh environment such as an engine piston chamber, and you have a spark plug that can resist wear much better than platinum. Additionally, the DENSO Iridium Power alloy is so durable; it allowed our engineers to produce the world?s smallest center electrode (.4mm) which reduces the voltage requirements, concentrating its sparking power. Also, its smaller size, combined with the tapered U-Groove ground electrode, allows more room for the flame kernel to develop and produce a more efficient combustion.
For example, many newer Lexus? and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will ?round-off? firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.
ABOVE FROM: Frequently Asked Questions: DENSO Iridium

So, platinum- and iridium-coated plugs with a copper core won't boost horsepower or fuel economy; they'll just last longer and perform more consistently. Performance fine-wire plugs can enhance efficiency by helping the flame front to initiate and spread a bit more quickly, which potentially means more fuel burned per compression event and less fuel wasted. Both platinum and iridium fine-wire plugs will outperform copper-tipped plugs, but the iridium's ability to withstand high temperatures allows for a thinner plug tip. In the real world, though, you're unlikely to see any measurable change in fuel economy using iridium instead of platinum plugs. Platinum will do everything iridium does outside of the most severe racing applications. Iridium can give engine builders a slight edge in very high-compression, turbocharged or supercharged engines, but this edge isn't likely to translate into increased fuel economy in a street engine.

Read more: Platinum Vs. Iridium Spark Plugs and Gas Mileage | eHow.com Platinum Vs. Iridium Spark Plugs and Gas Mileage | eHow.com

Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM

if they work for you, use them. they did not work for me. a set of spark plugs is cheap. not a lot wasted if you replace them and the problem persists. im not trying to convince you. im just sharing my experience. i will never use iridium again in my protege simply because the car does not like them. my engine is stock, just in case. when i had the problem, i even replaced the spark plug cables and one of the coil packs. problem did not go away. i replaced the plugs and all nice again.

Last edited by Juanky; 11-12-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: New to forum having problems with rough idle with engine code p0171