Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

My "99 Protege Got Flooded

Old 12-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Default My "99 Protege Got Flooded

My "99 Protege got caught in a flood. I estimate that the water was about 2 feet high at the highest point. No water got in the crankcase. And as far as I know, no water got inside the transmission. It's a 5 speed manual. When the water went down I gave it a good cleaning inside and out. It still cranked and would run but it wouldn't idle and it wouldn't maintain a constant speed. A mechanic fixed the no idle problem but his computer diagnostic machine showed no codes at all, even though the "check engine light" burns all the time now and so does the alternator light even though the alternator is working just fine. The computer diagnostic machine at O'Reilly's also failed to throw a code. The car runs fine when I am accelerating or coming to a stop with my foot off the gas pedal. But when I am accelerating and have reached the desired speed, the car starts slowing down just as if I had taken my foot off the gas pedal prior to a stop. Then I have to press harder on the gas pedal to prevent it from slowing down any further, so it starts accelerating again, then slowing down again, and this just never stops. In other words, it will not maintain a constant speed. It's either accelerating or slowing down. I love this little car. It has 165K on it but still consistently gets 34 mpg. I would sure appreciate any diagnostic advice that any of you might care to share with me.

Walter