Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

The most annoying Protege5 problem EVER. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Exclamation The most annoying Protege5 problem EVER. Ideas?

The most annoying Protege5 problem EVER.
If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

My wife has a 2002 P5 Auto with a very, very annoying issue, that has been around since about 27,000 miles to the 102,000 miles it has on it currently.

After driving it to the point that it is warmed up, if you park it and leave it for about 20-30 minutes, when you start it, the car fires right up, then stumbles horribly for 15-30 seconds. If you give it any gas, it will try to stall. Sometimes it 'seems' that if you kind of flutter the gas pedal, it will "wake up". After this time "window", the car seems to run ok. It starts and runs fine from a cold start, and seems to drive "ok" after this initial hot-start stumble. 0-60 in 12ish seconds, but who knows how fast it was originally. This is an every-day occurence. It has only ever thrown one code (and that was unrelated to this issue, o2 sensor replacement).

I'm out of ideas - here is what I've done or had Mazda do (while it was under warranty).

1:Reflash ECU
2:Replaced ECU
3: Replaced Fuel Pump
4: Replaced EGR
5: Cleaned MAF
6: Replaced Plugs
7: Cleaned IAC
8: Replaced FPR
9: Replaced Cam Sensor
10: Replaced Air intake boot/hose
11: Checked for any vacuum leaks, nothing obvious.
What else could be causing this?
Halp!