Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

MAP Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Default RE: MAP Sensor

Well that sucks gangst.[:@]

Know we had a bad MAP sensor as your voltage checks and manually applying vacuum proved that. Question now is are you getting vacuum to the system. Notice there are two vacuum lines at the two wire solenoid valve. Short one goes directly to the MAP sensor and other longer one connects up to the intake manifold. Disconnect the long line off of the solenoid valve with engine idling and hook up to your vacuum gauge. Needle on gauge should instantly shoot up to 20". If no needle movement then no vacuum due to plugged vacuum port. If needle slowly climbs to 20" then port is restricted. Either way the port will need to be cleaned out with a good sharp drill bit. They have a tendancy to clog due to proximity to EGR valve. Entire EGR port system should be cleaned but that is a bit bigger job for later.
If you do get a good vacuum supply to the solenoid then reconnect vacuum line and disconnect the other, short one that goes to the MAP sensor. Should not have any vacuum thru the solenoid at the short line to MAP. Using a set of jumper wires, apply 12 volts to White/Red wire and ground the Gray/Red wire. Solenoid should click and vacuum should now be allowed thru the solenoid to the MAP.
Let know what you find out from this.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the feed back. At the moment I am on the road traveling for work, and will give your suggestions in a week or so.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:47 PM

Ok I am back at home for a few days. tonight I installed new vaccum lines along with removing the EGR valve assembly. The vaccum line was plugged as it goes into the intake. It was drilled out and flushed fully with compressed air and carb cleaner through the port until it ran fully clean. The EGR was reinstalled and all the lines reconnected. After a short test drive, 6 miles the check engine light came back on and set a code of P0106.

I put a vaccum gage on the line and it was only drawing a very small amount of vaccum if any. SO I re-routed the vaccum line to where the cruise control gets its vaccum, the vaccum gage reported a full 20. Great vaccum from that source; however after plugging the line by the EGR valve and a test drive. Another code was set, P0401, EGR not getting any flow. That is no suprise since its vaccum line was plugged with a screw for this test.

PS: I did put 12 volts across the solenoid and it activated.

So my understanding is that I need to get vaccum from the intake to the MAP sensor; but how do I go about it?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 PM

Life is good. This afternoon I installed a "T" in the vaccum line to connect the vaccum that originally fed the MAP sensor to include the vaccum from the curise control. After over fifty miles of driving, everything looks fine.

The car will be taken to see it will pass the state inspection tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone that contributed and shared your knowledge and experiences. This is only a patch, how do I go about cleaning out the intake that feeds the EGR system that supplies the vaccum to the MAP sensor?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 PM

Routing the vacuum line to the cruise control line will work but you may still get a P0401 insufficient flow. The change that is detected in manifold pressure when EGR valve opens is fairly small and if the pressure sample is not taken near the EGR ports then the PCM may not see enough of a change and think the EGR is not flowing enough.

Cleaning the EGR ports out in the intake manifold are kind of a pain but it can be done. I first take off the EGR valve and disconnect the vacuum line. Install a plug on the vacuum port and then some kind of round plug or cork into the removed EGR port. Next you will want to remove the throttle body. The EGR port is at about the 6 or 7 o'clock position inside the initake manifold and about 1-2 inches in. You should be able to identify it by all of the black carbon piled up around it. I then use a length of vacuum or window washer hose to stick in the hole and use one of those tiny little funnels you can buy at the craft store for filling your scented oil lamps to pour in some Top Engine Cleaner. It is a very strong corrosive carbon cleaner so try not to get on you or your paint. Will rip paint right off of the car. If you can find a good strong carb cleaner in an aerosol can with a straw to aim it into the hole it will work also but just not as well or as quickly. Take off the vacuum cap down by the EGR valve briefly to make sure that cleaner is all the way down there and then let sit and do its work for as long as possible. I also then use the inside flex part of an old speedometer cable to work down into the hole and break away as much as possible. You can also buy small flexible brushes at auto parts stores that are used to clean out small engine passages. You just want to be able to dissolve and remove as much carbon as possible between the EGR valve and intake port.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:41 PM

I want to say a big thank you to everyone on this board. You guys have saved my bacon. By re-routing the vacuum line by installing a "T" in line to include the vacuum line from the EGR and the cruise control, there was enough vacuum to allow the car to pass the required state inspection. One side effect of the re-routing was that the gas mileage was down to 19 miles per gallon for a full take.

This week end I removed the EGR and made a plug to cap off the port to outside world and ran a small tube into the vacuum line. Then flooded the chamber with carb and choke cleaner for about an hour. The chamber had to be refilled several times; because the port was open by a small amount. After a hour, the chamber was filled and compressed air applied to the vacuum hose, 120 PSI. I had removed the vacuum hose to the brake boster had been removed to make it easer to remove the EGR. Once the compressed air was applied, the cleaning solution came out of the brake boster vacuum port directly into my face. Don't worry I had safety glasses on, so all is well. Along with the cleaner there was some particles of carbon included in the stream following a loud poping nosie as everything turned loose.

Once everything was put back together the car was started. It a bit of cranking before it started. A vacuum gage was installed in the MAP sensor line and it was pulling about 17.5 inches of vacuum. So everything was re-connected as it was by the manufacture and a test drive was take. All is working great.

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Same problem on 2000 Mazda MPV P0106 and no vaccum off the EGR valve, I managed to drill and clear the clogged line on the EGR valve but still no vaccum. I follow gangst and babyhuey's cleanup procedure a little bit if either of you guys can post some pictures to accomplish this I would appreciate it. I tried to remove the EGR valve to but I could not due to limited access to unscrew the big pipe. Pls help.