Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

MAP Sensor

Old 08-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Default MAP Sensor

1999 Protege 1.6L
OBDII Code: P0106
How do I go about proving that the MAP sensor is faulty? There are three wires in the connector. Does this unit operate off of 5 volts? If so, which wire is what, ground, power positive and output? The car runs fine no driveability issues. The check engine light will only come on after about driving 150 miles or so. A second question is what is the proceedure to reset this system, drive for 30 minutes at 45+MPH or 5 starts? A

Thanks in advance for you assistance. I am new to this forum.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Default RE: MAP Sensor

First of all, welcome to the forum.

To reset the sensor, take the negative wire off the battery terminal and let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes. To speed up the process pus the brake a few time after you unplug the negative wire to discharge all capacitors in the car.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

I am attemtping to prove that the MAP sensor is the issue before replacing it; because of the expense. Is there a preceedure for measuring accross the pins to determine if it is out of range? To read and reset the check eng. light I have purchase a hand held device that plugs into the OBDII system and reads the codes; but have not been able to locate a way to check it. A follow up question, is because the MAP measure is vacume very close to the EGR could the EGR not be working correctly in some way. The light is very slow to set, it take around 150 miles of use before it set.

The problem with just clearing the codes it takes a long time for the various systems to reset and I need to get a state inspection sticker by the in of the month for my daughter.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 AM

Pink/Black wire is 5V supply to the sensor
Pink is signal back to PCM
Orange is Ground

Pink should be ~4V with key on engine off

I would first check to make sure all vacuum lines are in good condition and tight. Bend the hoses to make sure none are dry rotted from heat.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 PM

Adding to bkey71's voltage checks. Voltage at Pink wire should be approx 4.0 volts at idle as well. If you apply power and ground to the boost sensor solenoid which is right there next to the map sensor, full manifold vacuum should be applied to the map sensor and signal voltage should then change to approx 1.1 volts at idle with no electrical loads on engine (ie headlights, A/C, rear defrost ). With A/C on the voltage will only drop to 1.5-1.7 volts. Performing this test will confirm 2 things. Manifold vacuum is available at the solenoid and solenoid actually operates and allows vacuum switching to the sensor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/68B2EBBCDB2D4A5C8BAB7767457B6979.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 AM

The voltage across the pink/black vs orange = 5.0 volts
The voltage across the Pink vs orange = 4.025 volts
(Key on and engine off)

Question: Can I replace as a test the MAP sensor for a 1966 1.5 liter Protege? It does plug into the plug directly; however the wiring colors are different. Just being careful. In addition the sensor next to the MAP sensor is a two wire devise. Vaccum come directly from the intake into to it, them out to the MAP sensor.

PS: I applied a vaccum in place of the intake vaccum, without the engine running. There was not voltage change. In addition the voltage did not change with the engine on.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:33 AM

Where did you apply the vacuum to??? The two wire sensor that you are talking about is actually not a sensor but only a vacuum switch. It is a solenoid that either allows atmospheric or manifold pressure to be tested to the MAP sensor. If you applied a vacuum directly to the MAP sensor with key on and did not see a voltage change at the Pink wire then you have a faulty MAP sensor. If you just applied vacuum to the solenoid then will not see a change as the solenoid is closed and test will not be anything.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 PM

I applied the vaccum directly to the MAP sensor with no change in voltage.

This evening I took the MAP sensor off of my '95 Protege 1.5 liter in installed it in the '99 Protege MAP sensor. The '99 appeared to work ok during its short test drive; however the '95 was hard to start and would not accelerate very fast. So I have arrived at the conclusion that the MAP sensor on the '99 is not working.

Thanks for everybodys help. You guys are a wealth of information and experience.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 PM

Would have to agree with you 100% on that conclusion gangst. Checked on parts computer and it does list two different part numbers for the MAP sensor between the two cars. Do not know what the difference is but only that they are different.
The correct part for a 99 with 1.6 is OE #KL47-18-211A with MSRP of $152.45. You can get from www.onlinemazdaparts.com for about $30 cheaper.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:02 AM

Well guys the MAP sensor has been replaced the codes cleared. After driving about 20 miles, the same code was set once again. What now? Does anybody have any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAP Sensor