Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

maf and throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Default maf and throttle body

how do you clean the mass air flow sensor and also the throttle body. do you just buy the appropriate spray and spray them. my butterfly valve? in the throttle body (the thing that opens and closes when push accelerator) has brown coloring around its edges. I have 2000 protégé, 1.6 lit. with 85k miles . sometimes engine dies when idling at red light and sometimes engine bogs for 2 seconds when I give it gas. car will lurch or buck violently for those 2 seconds and then everything is fine. ever since I put in new crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor , fuel pump and ngk spark plugs recommended by owners manual I noticed my idle speed/rpm is just a little bit slower. my gas mileage is great , 35 mpg plus on highway. thanks for any help

Old 01-20-2015, 05:40 PM

To clean the MAF use MAF cleaner in a spray can. The MAF uses a hotwire that cools as air flows across the wire into the engine. This difference in temp of the hotwire changes the resistance of the hotwire which the PCM uses to adjust fuel injector dwell/etc. So any dirt on the hotwire will insulate it from the air and give a false reading.

To clean the throttle body i use carb spray and a rag. Just hold the throttle open,soak the rag in carb spray and clean. To clean it really well you will need to remove it and bench clean it.