Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

keyless entry retrofitting????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Default keyless entry retrofitting????

basically i am wondering if anyone on here has had a protege that came without the keyfobs,and without the reciever under the dash from the factory,and gotten a receiver from a used/junked,etc protege and installed it into their car????
i think this could be done,as mine has the mount for the receiver box,and the wiring for the box is already there.....(there is a factory pigtail in the same spot that would plug into the receiver box as far as i can tell.....)

also,with the number of people on this forum,i am guessing someone on here has probably either done this before,or looked into doing it and found out it was a no-go......

also,i figured that since my car has most of the other available options that were available for mine (03)except a few higher dollar things.....
no sport shifter for my trans,no sunroof,and no 6 disc changer.....
i have the other stuff,pw ps cc tilt column ac more deluxe style dash with tach,and also factory 15" alloy wheels (5 spoke design....)

anyone with any info on this topic,help would be really nice.....
when i try searching for the topics,the answers all seem to be for people who already have keyless,and are having troubles either with their systems and/or fobs.....

Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM

protegeX, I am in the process of doing exactly what you are describing on a 99 protege that was bought from a dealer and remote was not w/car when traded in. Not sure if dealer deactivated system or not, however he purchased a remote off e-bay, but I cannot get it to link up. I need to see if the receiver box was removed. If you could describe the box and location, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Default keyless entry system

i had read up on it and it was located above where the clutch pedal would be on the firewall(on my car there is no box there,just an empty spot where it would be......there are wire connectors and the stud that i believe that the remote entry box is mounted to is there but my car was never factory equipped with the remote fob.

as far as what it looks like, i believe it is just a small rectangular box ( computer ) and i think that it is black, but
my car is a slightly oddball mix of what it did get and what it didn't get
my car ( 03 protege 2.0 lx ) has
power windows
power door locks
power steering
auto trans
air cond
cruise control
tilt wheel
intermittent wiper setting
rear window defroster
power mirrors
came with the factory 5 spoke nicer aluminum wheels
also had the factory cd player

and it doesn't have
anti lock brakes
traction control
no sunroof
no trunk subwoofer
no trunk mounted cd changer
no driving/fog lights
no trunk mounted wing
or remote entry ( the key fob thing )

i am just guessing here, but i think i just missed another option group on the car and i would have gotten the other missing and upgraded stuff

111356091695 that number is an ebay listing number for one currently for sale.
from the pictures, it is silver......as far as much more,that is the best i can help you out with it.

also,for the basic troublesome things you encounter on the car definitely search well for.mine had a few problems that all came down to a few very minor problems,but fixing all the little stuff on mine cost a few hundred dollars. ( bad air intake tube caused a leanout condition,which burned out the front catalytic converter ),and caused a hard to find ( and diagnose ) missfire that kept coming up as a random cylinder misfire,and it would be very random.....sometimes just one minor misfire,sometimes 2 cylinders throwing that code....fixed air tube,and found a broken off emissions piece and someone had tried to close off that vacuum line and didn't do so very well.
fixed those things,and no basic problems.