Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Intermediate shaft bearing gone

Old 04-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Default Intermediate shaft bearing gone

Hi all I have a 2000 protege with a 1.8 liter that has a high growling whinning noise that happens from about 30 mph and up. I , put tranny into N when driving to see if noise goes away and it doesnt. I lifted up the car and checked both wheel bearings and theres no play, they seem fine. I will check them again tomorrow with a dial indicator on each wheel. When I pulled on the passengers side cv joint shaft side at the support bracket for bearing theres play in it. The other drivers side has a tiny bit of play but the passengers side almost pops when i pull on it.So im thinking that the intermediate bearing is gone. Just wanted to know for sure before I replace it any help would be great thanks Just added some pics today and at the main body I have play there I also checked the shaft coming out from tranny and theres no play @ tranny but I can feel movement on other side of bearing support mount

Attached Thumbnails Intermediate shaft bearing gone-img_20150403_101002.jpg   Intermediate shaft bearing gone-img_20150403_101011.jpg  

Last edited by Blader; 04-03-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:48 AM

You will likely need to remove the axle/carrier bearing to check it unless it has a lot of slop.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 AM

Yes I do realize that, it does pop when i pull on it. Also wondering if a bearing would fit from a 2.0liter mazda..I think it should be the same, reason being i can probably get 1 from a guy thats parting out a 2.0 l protege same year. Mine has abs so if i get his axles too i know it has to have abs. I also have another mazda protege with a 1.6 liter same year 2000 as the lx. I did compare the 2 and my higher mileage has no play so Im just about certain that bearing is gone or going thanks

Last edited by Blader; 04-05-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Well after spending 4 hrs yesterday after night shift I tried to get the axle shaft out of hub bearing with no luck.It turned out that I ended up almost twisting my puller and I mushroomed the end of the axle shaft. I had to reassemble it since theres no way that axle shaft is coming out that way anyway. I think the only other way is to take the hub assembly out with axle shaft, and put it into a press and press it out. But that too might not work as I did see a youtube video wr the guy still couldnt get it out. I tried to soak it with release all and even put a bit of heat on it...no go. I was able to remove the inner joint from intermediate bearing and I checked the bearing for any play and none...only horizontal play but thats gotta be normal. I guess my only option now is to found a complete hub axle shaft from wreckers. I called a few places but none,i drove car this morning and hum is still there lol....

Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

A good air hammer always works or most parts stores rent special tools for the job. Personally I have never been unable to get them out of the hub. Then again, the right tools always makes repairs easier. Unless you do it for a living I wouldn't expect you to have the tools. You can probably buy a new axle nut, turn your other one backwards and thread it on, then sledge hammer it.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 AM

Come to think of it when I was trying to drive it out, I had the hub disconnected from the ball joint,so didnt really have anything solid support behind. But then again I had to be careful,ha ha, as to not damage the axle even though Im changing it and the intermediate bearing. Thanks for the nut idea I forgot to think of that one,maybe Ill try it again on my days off starting Friday....

Old 04-11-2015, 10:24 AM

Update before going any further I decided to take it in to garage in town for a free estimate....They checked it and all front end is good nothing worn or loose turns out that bit of play is normal on that inside axle pics above LOL....they also took me for a ride to see what noise I was talking about...and said that its all tire noise....car came with very agressive winter tread tires. Today I changed them out and cars quiet up to about 45mph lol Have to test it off later on hwy... I did think that I should try tires 1st but Im on some heavy meds so didnt consider it .....thanks