Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

how to change the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Unhappy how to change the water pump?

my sister has a '95 protege dx/lx (i haven't been able to look at it myself yet cuz i dont live near her, but from online research it must be a 1.5l cuz the 1.8l is in the es). anyway, long story short, the water pump is bad. she managed to make it to (what i thought was a good) mechanic and he quoted her more than $600 to change the water pump cuz the engine and everything is in the way.

is that right? you can buy a regular plain pump online for about $50. does anybody know of instructions online or have tips, im sure i could do it myself, but ill probably have to buy a hanes or chilton manual or something for it, and it might take a while. if that car is worth more than $600 than it barely is so i hate to see her spend that much to fix it

any advice or suggestions? i 'preciate the help

Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 AM

I have gone through a replacement of the water pump on a Mazda Protege 1.6L, DOHC - 2000. I am not surprised by the quote for $600.00, but I live in northern California.

Replacing the water pump means you will have to remove the Timing Belt. When you buy the water pump, order the timing belt too. Based on my experience, avoid the Haynes manual and get the Chilton version. I am not saying the Chilton is perfect, but the Haynes is flat wrong on timing marks.

YMMV, but I have found fair Mazda part pricing and helpful part pictures at rockauto.com. I think they will have a combo kit with the WP, Timing Belt and a couple other things. Plus you can order it online and have it shipped to your 'sis's place.

Good Luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by primemover
I have gone through a replacement of the water pump on a Mazda Protege 1.6L, DOHC - 2000. I am not surprised by the quote for $600.00, but I live in northern California.

Replacing the water pump means you will have to remove the Timing Belt. When you buy the water pump, order the timing belt too. Based on my experience, avoid the Haynes manual and get the Chilton version. I am not saying the Chilton is perfect, but the Haynes is flat wrong on timing marks.

YMMV, but I have found fair Mazda part pricing and helpful part pictures at rockauto.com. I think they will have a combo kit with the WP, Timing Belt and a couple other things. Plus you can order it online and have it shipped to your 'sis's place.

Good Luck!
I agree if the car is over 100,000 km or 60,000 miles you might as well change the timeing belt and the valve cover gasket while your at it since your going to have to take it off in order to align the cam's. but 600.00$ is pretty reasonable my dad's friend did my water pump in my focus and they had to take out my engine and we paid 450.00$ when the total cost should have been ranging from $800-$1000. but i don't want to scare you or anything but if you do decide to do the water pump and when it comes to the timeing belt make sure it is absolutly perfect or you will end up bending the piston rods, cam shafts the whole works then 600$ won't seem so bad.