Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

HELP requested: AT light on '03 P5, dealer says Pressure Control Solenoid or PCM bad?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Unhappy HELP requested: AT light on '03 P5, dealer says Pressure Control Solenoid or PCM bad?

This last week, the AT light came on when starting the car. This was on Thursday. But it went back off. Friday it did not flash at all. I scheduled an appointment for Monday morning.

On Saturday, when we tried to shift into gear from park, it balked, so we put it back in park, reapplied brake and tried again. It clunked going into reverse. AT light still on at this point. Shortly after it went out, but came back on, then off again.

Decided to take it to the dealer for a tranny flush. They ran diag on it and claim they got the code PO745. Supposedly this is an abnormal reading of the pressure on the PCS.(when checked on the electrical diagnostics) Then they ran a manual check on the pressurre of the PCS, and it read normal. They declared problem is either the pressure control solenoid is beginning to go out (very rare) and costs $564.70 to replace (would have to order part), or the PCM (he couldn't tell me anything about this) would need to be replaced costing $1,418.34.

After the flush I asked them to button things up, and I'd keep an eye on it since the AT light was out and they could not replicate the problem. Problem did not occur last night on the way home from the dealer. This morning the AT light began blinking on and off after starting the car. I reset the PCM (neg terminal disconnected, brake peddle on for a few seconds) and the AT light is still blinking.

Particulars:
2003 Protege 5 with AT
65000 miles
turns out this is the first transmission flush/fluid change. (I inherited upkeep of this car)
Code they told me about: PO745 Supposedly this is an abnormal reading of the pressure on the PCS.
Then they ran a manual check on the pressure of the PCS, and it read normal.
No AT light on way home from dealer last night.
AT light is now blinking on and off at 1-2 second intervals.
I reset the PCM, and light is still blinking.

I guess the net-net question is, do these solutions from the dealer sound reasonable? I understand the PCM is pretty easy to swap, so I would do that (suggestions on where to get one appreciated). I would likely have the PCS done by a shop. (any suggestions in Northern San Diego County?) Lastly, has anyone else run into these problems, and what solutions seemed to work?
Thank you.

Last edited by Hunter158; 08-11-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: adding question
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM

You can rule out the ECU by finding a person near you who has an automatic protege.

Under the passengers feet. 4 10mm Bolts.

Swap out, try the car. If the problem goes away then it's your ECU. If it does not, swap out the sensor,