Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

help needed for mazda protege 96 1.8l doch modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Default help needed for mazda protege 96 1.8l doch modification

hi i have a mazda protege 96 lx 1.8l doch... this car as been modified completely from the outside... now im looking to modify the engine...i whant to put it turbo... i have a complete turbo manifold with turbo...complete intercooler kit...complete 3 inch exhaust system...racing lightweight flywheel and stage 3 clutch... aluminium ajustable cam gears...billet alluminium crank pulleys.... high pressure fuel pump fuel regulator ..boost controller ...high performance slotted disk brake ...lowered suspension.... enkei 17 inch wheels with 215/40/zr17 falken tires.... my question is: what modification will i have to do in the engine to complete my project (pistons..crank....rods... valve....anything that i didnt think of) will i need a engine management to make everything work correctly..... and is all the bp engine 1.8l doch the same.(miata protege ???)...i love my car and dont want a new one.... i just want to drive faster than those honda civic and accura kids arround the block.... im not a mechanics only a fool that loves is car and want to go all the way with it..... thanks for those that wants to help me out becaus mazda dealers around here are no mechanics... theres just people that change the part there computer told them to..........

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Default RE: help needed for mazda protege 96 1.8l doch modification

you will need to rebuild the motor with forged rods and pistons. the pistons will need to be dish top pistons for lower compression. you will need a fuel and engine management system. there are two options with that, stand-alone and piggy back. if you aren't running larger injectors, you could run a unichip piggy back. this unit is pretty basic and plug-and-play as they get as long as the injectors don't get changed. if you swap the injectors, you may want to go with stand-alone.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Default RE: help needed for mazda protege 96 1.8l doch modification

just to put this in there. mazdas are faster than their little civic rice mobiles to begin with, you see honda doesn't realize something, torque.