Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Headlight Socket & Wiring Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Default Headlight Socket & Wiring Troubles

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege and I am looking for some help with my head lights. A few months ago I started having trouble with my headlights. Sometimes one would be out then the other. When I went to change the bulb I noticed the socket was melted where the centre prong connects and the wires were corroded on both headlight sockets. I tried to connect the wires the best I could and was able to get the driving lights on but I could not get light from my low beams. After I turned on my low beams the was no difference between driving and low beams and the high beam indicator would light up on my dash. Then if I put my high beams on the dash indicator light would go off and the passenger side high beam would come on.

I figured all I needed was a pair a new sockets and my problem would be fixed. Well I had a rough time finding new sockets but I finally did and installed them myself...but only the passenger's side functions properly. I can't even get the driving lights to come on, on the driver's side. I got my step father who is an electrician to check my connections...he confirmed that they were correctly connected...but he did not have a meter with him that day to see if there is power running through the wires. He thinks it may have something to do with the relay but won't know until further investigation.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me anything about the wiring for my headlights and/or how I might fix this problem without taking it to a garage?

Anything would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

...and yes...I the light bulbs both work!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM

relay sounds like the issue, if no power is going to the lights....as to why the connectors melted/corroded - too many variables. My guess would be a bad ground somewhere causing an arc, but the connector would have to have been loose for it to be that bad.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Default headlamp sockets fried

Superwoman - did you ever get this resolved?
I've got the same problem with a 1999 Mazda 626 - went to change the bulb and found the socket fried. I guess I'll just try to find the socket somewhere and replace it.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Default Reply to Mike81

Mike81-
My headlight problem has not been solved yet.

Changing the sockets on my Protégé was very simple and took only a few minutes. I hope that replacing the socket works for you and that you don't end up with the problems I have. I think if I would have replaced the sockets as soon as I noticed the problem that I would not have the troubles I am having today. I suggest you change your socket soon just in case the problem gets worse.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and it took me awhile to find the sockets (for a 9003 blub). The 3 auto parts dealers that I called did not have anything listed in their systems but Napa Auto Parts did have something that they thought could work. They just matched up the prongs on the 9003 blub with a socket and they seemed to match. So I bought 2 of the sockets and they do fit my bulbs. The total cost for 2 sockets was $15.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Default Reply to Vour Tinto

Thanks for your help!

We checked out the sockets with a meter to see if they are getting any power. We got a reading of 12 (not sure of the units) on the working head light and a reading of 7 (still not sure of the units) for the broken head light. We still don't know how the wiring for the headlights runs to find the problem.

If there is anyone who can help...PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM

units are volts - 12 is where it should be. As for why the other is reading 7, you need to check your wiring...you probably have a bad ground. if this is the only electrical problem your car is having, you'll want to check your headlight relay (not sure where it is in your protege. in my 98, its under the dash on the drivers side near the fuse block. never hurts to check a haynes or chiltons manual). Make sure the wiring near that and the socket are both in tact. Also check the ground wire coming off of the battery - trace it back to where it connects to the frame of your car and see if thats rusted at all. If it is, youre likely to have electrical problems in other places as well, but they might not be so apparent. I had the same issue, and my problems were only intermittent... Either way, I'm pretty sure its a bad ground somewhere, but they can be pretty difficult to find sometimes. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Default Mazda 626

I have a 2001 Mazda 626 that has a passenger side headlight issue. I have replaced the headlight and wiring harness & new plug. Now its doing the same thing. The highbeams work but not the low beam on the passenger side. After looking at the plug it has a melted wire again and a new bulb wont work. I'm thinking I have to trace wire back to fuse box and see if I have a wire exposed and shorting out. Does Anyone have another suggestions or Ideas?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 PM

I am guessing the short happened either in or near the socket. After all that's where it go thot enough to melt. But there is nothing wrong with your approach.

I wonder if there is a way for water to get to the sockets.