Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Default Gas smell

Hey guys, my 94 1.8 LX has an intermittent gas smell. No detectable leaks anywhere in the fuel lines, tank, filter, etc.

One of the codes I got was vris #1 solenoid, but in all the excitement of chasing all the more pressing bugs out of the system, I haven't gotten to this one yet.

Could this be the problem? Thanks in advance for any ideas. WW

Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Anyone? While I still have brain cells to comprehend your reply? lol

Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wetwilly66
Anyone? While I still have brain cells to comprehend your reply? lol
That's where we differ. All I have left up there is called substantia nigra.

With that in mind mull over this:

VRIS is operating the intake runners. There is no fuel in the intake runners all the way to the fuel injectors.

You never said where the fuel smell occurs but I think you mean under the hood. But where exactly? It's not healthy, but can you sniff it out?

Obvious suspects are external injector leaks, fuel line leaks , fuel pressure regulator leaks, and often forgotten: EVAP System leaks. In an aging vehicle the EVAP hoses may crack.

That's all I can come up with after stirring my substantia nigra.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the interest Tan, you gotta stay with me on this man, its BAAD bad.

The gas smell comes from the engine compartment and enters the cabin. The smell is intermittent, but strong enough to where I and my passengers feel affected...not good.

A few facts that might help troubleshoot: The problem escalated from just gas SMELL to actual vapors effecting us physically when I put a new muffler on the car, so I'm thinking back pressure on the system intensified the problem. Evap solenoid and canister are upgraded from newer boneyard parts, hoses are in good condition. Also, the smell only occurs when the car is accelerating, I've let the car sit and idle for half an hour in the morning with no smell at all. I have a Haynes manual on the way, but same sad story, I need the car to make a living and all it seem to want to do is kill me and whoever else is riding in it. JM

Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 PM

That sounds like you have a clogged up muffler system. When the core of the catalytic converter crumbles the bits will clog up the muffler passages. There is probably enough flow to handle idle but when you produce more exhaust, such as when accelerating, the back pressure increases and the fumes get out through small cracks.

I think you can verify that yourself by plugging up the tail pipe and letting it idle. Then open the hood or crawl under the car and feel for exhaust escaping somewhere. A shop could do some pressure measurements.

My guess is you need a new exhaust system, maybe even a new catalytic converter. This is really best left to the pros.

I bet your fuel mileage sucks too.

Last edited by tanprotege; 05-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM

22 City 25+ highway. Not too shabby for a 94 with 175,000 on it 9 months ago when the speedometer/odometer mysteriously stopped working one night in a church parking lot.... I digress.

I think there is merit to your suggestion. Just for ha ha's I ran the codes again and we came up with a new one. 6. Just 6. Problem is, I cant find it in the Haynes Manual or the links you provided here. Can you think of anywhere else I might find a more in-depth list of codes?

JM

Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 PM

But it is not good enough. You should get 35mpg highway.

6 is the ECT sensor circuit. Check the wire harness first. If that appears to be good replace the ECT sensor.
Did you ever use Barsleaks? Hopefully not because that can foul up the ECT readings.

Tech - ECU Problem Codes