Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Default Front end noise

Hello folks,
Maybe someone can help I have a P5 that has got this front end noise or vibration that you can only hear in the cabin. My first thought was wheel bearings so I changed both of them first the driver’s side no help then the right one, it did get quitter for about 6 mouth the it started up again. Now I thought I could have damage the passenger bearing on the install being they are a bugger to put in. So I took the knuckle off again to inspect it. It spins freely. So both wheel bearings are good. Now there is a center shaft support that I’m thinking it might be my troubles but I’m don’t sure if it is a bearing or not it looks like a bearing. Anybody? My only other thought is that is in the transmission.

Last edited by fasterthenyou; 03-01-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM

check the tires and front wheel alignment.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Wheel alignment is good, tire pressure is good, and tires are also in good shape.

I want to add, the noise is consent meaning no change when turning right or left or braking. The noise does get louder when the speed increases.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:11 AM

did you have a look at the brakes, rotors and calipers? maybe there is corrosion on the sliders.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Very good thought. brakes are good.
The sound is more of a growl.
I don't recommend this but I had the front of the car raised, rear wheels choke then put the car in drive got the growl sound then I blocked each of the front wheels one at a time so only one wheel span and still got the growl sound.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

You are thrill seeker, I see.

Want to do it again? This time get a length of garden hose and hold one end to the trans axle and the other end to the ear. Maybe you can locate the source of the growl even better.
Many transaxles use a chain for the final drive. If this one has a chain it could be worn out. Or the bearings for the out put shafts are done in.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 AM

That’s a good idea I like it. I’ll try it this weekend.
So a little more on the cars history.
I’m the second owner I bought it with 17K on the clock it now has 97K. I have always kept up with the maintenance on the car because this was my daily drive now it’s my 17 year old son. The car burns not one drop of oil, handles like new. Mazda should have not stopped making this car. It’s fun to drive, good on gas, seats 4, I have leather seats so they still look like new.So I think this car is a keeper.
What do you think it will cost to repair?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 AM

I don't know the cost, we don't even know the source of the growl yet. We don't know if the transmission must be yanked to get to it. But the way you describe the car it is likely worth fixing.
Is it an automatic?
do you live where they throw salt on the roads?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

I was thinking the trans as well. I replaced both the wheel bearing and tested them by raising the front up. there is a center support axle bracket but I’ve eliminated that by the same method there are no more bearing except the outdrive.
It’s an automatic shifts well, fluid is clean and full. Bummer, I’m always spaying the underside at the coin wash to remove the road salt, we have had so much snow here in Mi. this year and every time they add layer of salt. I would have never thought the salt got inside, I would like to think they were sealed a little better.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Rust is Mazda's Achilles' Heel.

The thing you call outdrive may be the culprit. I wonder if it can be worked on without taking the tranny out. It is the labor for pulling the tranny that makes it so expensive.

Quick Reply: Front end noise