Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Code P1345 - dies when hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Default Code P1345 - dies when hot

I have a 2000 Protege, 1.6L DOHC, 60K miles. Last month, I reported a driveability problem with a P0171 code and the moderator diagnosed it as a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor. This is apparently a known problem with this year, and was fortunately replaced at no charge by my dealer under SSP 56. The previous stumble off of idle has now disappeared. That's the good news. The bad news is that my hot start problem is still around. Actually, what happened today was not a hot start problem....the car just died (stalled) in stop and go traffic. Fortunately I felt the engine running rough for about 10 seconds prior to stalling and I was able to nurse it off to the side.

Some background - Outside air temp was about 82 degrees. I had been crawling in stop and go traffic for maybe 25 minutes, with the A/C on. (Ahh, the joys of living in Atlanta.) The engine stalled and would not restart. (Starter cranked fine, just wouldn't start.) The engine temp gauge was normal -- one tick below the half way mark. Got some exercise walking 3 miles home. I got a ride back to the car about 4 hours later that evening. Started up just fine.

Any ideas on this problem? Last month, I tested the fuel pump and regulator. The pressure at idle is 37 psi. Without vacuum the pressure goes up to 46 psi, per spec. Applying vacuum reduces the pressure, as expected. Seems to hold pressure fine when turned off. The other suggestion in the manual was to replace the air filter, which I did.

Thanks folks!!!

Richard

Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Default RE: Code P1345 - dies when hot

So the P1345 was found to be stored in memory? That code indicated a fault in the Camshaft Position Sensor signal which would certainly cause a stalling concern. Sensor is located on the top part of valve cover at the front nearer the drive belts. Three wire connector to it has wire colors Blue, Black w/ Red stripe, and White w/ Red stripe. Try disconnecting at an idle and see how quickly the engine stalls out.
May be that the sensor is getting heat sensitive and on the way out. Hot restart after a good heatsoak and crawling in stop and go traffic with A/C on would be two of the highest heat levels you could obtain underhood. A decent test you could perform would be to just let the engine sit and idle for 20 minutes or so one hot afternoon to get it good and warm. Next use an ordinary hair dryer on hottest setting to blow hot air right on the sensor and see if the stalling reoccurs. Your neighbors might think you have lost your noodles but it might be worth a try.
Don't think the sensor is very expensive but have to wait till morning to give it a check if you are interested. Super easy to replace if you have a 10mm wrench.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the test this weekend and report back. Yes, I'd be interested in the approximate cost of the sensor too.

Richard

Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM

Sounds good Richard. Hope this helps to find the stalling problem. I hate having to walk home and not knowing when [:@]

OE part number for the cam position sensor is a ZJ01-18-230. Those are zeros and not letter 'O'. MSRP is $81.60. online at mazdaparts.com for $65.28.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:06 PM

Here's the field report. I let the car idle in the 80 degree sun today with the hood closed and A/C on for 20 minutes. Then I heated the sensor with a hair dryer on high heat for a few minutes. Unfortunately, it did not stall. AARRGGHH! These intermittent problems are a pain. I could bring it to a shop, but they'll be in the same situation given that you can't reproduce the problem. Of course, they could always just start replacing parts until they hit the right one, and have me foot the bill :-)

Should I just go ahead and replace the sensor? This is the first time that the engine stalled while actually running. The previous heat related problems occured on a hot start after heat soaking. This is also the first time that it set the P1345 code. The earlier hot start problems were not accompanied by any codes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Richard

Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 PM

Well that is a bit disappointing to hear that you were unable to get a failure. Intermittent problems are indeed a real pain in the **** sometimes. Is up to you really to decide to go ahead and replace or not. Your coin.
Am not aware of cam sensors being a common problem but common problems are not always the answer. You did get a fault code for a particular sensor that would create the problem you described so would not be a wild leap to say the sensor was at fault. Hot start could be related or could be something entirely different. The good part is that the sensor is fairly inexpensive and you would not be taking a big bite out of the wallet to give it a stab.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:45 AM

The car has been parked for the most part as my son is away at school. However, he came home and borrowed it today and it stalled out after about 6 miles of driving. :-(. I've just placed my order for the sensor via Onlinemazdaparts. Hopefully that will fix it.....

Richard

Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 AM

I hope so as well rpgrayso.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 AM

My car is doing the exact same thing.

Can't wait to find out if it is a sensor problem.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Hi, I was searching on the internet about the same problem you were having with your car, and stumbled on to your posting. I was wondering what finally fixed the problem, becasue i am having the exact same problem, and replaced the camshaft semnsor, but it did not fix it. Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks, David

Quick Reply: Code P1345 - dies when hot