Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

CEL on and P codes: troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
eli
Default CEL on and P codes: troubleshooting help

Hello,

new here, hope someone can help before the dealer runs away with all my $

I have a maza protege LX 2.0 litres 2003, 45000 km, automatic transmission All did regular check ups, etc.
1 month ago, the Check engine light appeared. When this happens, the O/d light flashed a bit then disappears. The CEL stays lit. I went to the dealer, they put the computer, and then said they had to go by elemination process to find the cure.

1- they changed the EGR valve. I left, CEL re-appeared.
2- they said the hose connected to EGR was not well connected. I left, CEL re-appeared.
3- they changed BARO sensor. I left, CEL came back on, o/d light flashed abit, then disappeared. CEL stays on.

What I also notived is the following:

- higher consumption of gaz
- if I am at park, wait for a few minutes, the RPM will go up from 1000 to 3000 and come back down, like it kick starts
- when I go to the dealer, and I leave, when the CEL appears, it seems the engine RPMS alot before stabilizing

The computer codes are the following: P107 BARO sensor low circuitand P122 TP sensor low circuit.
Now the dealer says maybe the PCM is damaged (whatever that is)

What I would like to know is what are the possible, most commonsolutions to fixing these 2 codes, or my issues with the car.

I feel like the process of elimination will take forever and I will be a poor man after everything

Thanks for any feedback

Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Default RE: CEL on and P codes: troubleshooting help

sounds like it could be a transmission problem. take it to the tranny shop (no the dealer) and have them run the code.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
eli
Default RE: CEL on and P codes: troubleshooting help

Thanks for your feedback. I am not a mechanic really, but I am not sure I understand your comment.

Why would it be a transmission problem if the 2 OBD codes relate to a BARO sensor and a TP issue.

I have researched a bit those codes and possible solutions are:

- TP sensor not seated properly
- TP circuit open to PCM
- VREF open to TP sensor
- TP circuit short to GND
- Damaged TP sensor
- Damaged PCM (powertrain control module)

Please explain why you think it would be the transmission? Also what would be different if a transmission shop looks up the codes compared to a dealership? Are they not the same codes with the same meanings?

the dealership I went to is now proposing to check the PCM module?

A few additional details on the CEL light issue:

if I start the car quickly (ie put the key in ignition and start right away) CEL lights up, o/d flashes 2-3 times, then CEL light stays on. o/d does not flash afterwards.
Today i decided to put the key in, I waited for all lights on dashboard to come on, and waited before starting the car...the CEL light went off?

Very strange..one thing is pretty obvious, my gas consumption is way higher. Also, let's stay I am stopped at a light, after a few minutes, its like the engine tries to rev up for about 1 second like if the car wanted to go forward even though I am on the brakes.

Thanks everyone