Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Bolts broken in upper control arm mount/subframe

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Default Bolts broken in upper control arm mount/subframe

Hello all I was changing out the right side ball joint control arm assembly on my 2000 Mazda LX protege I had 2 bolts/nut that are in the pics I attached break off inside the mounts wherever they are above them. Ive tried numerous things to try to stabilze them somehow and no go. I get a loud popping/cracking sound now from that side when I brake or accel. Just wondering how can I get to them to replace them? I included a pic of the inner wheel well am I going to have torch out a hole to get to them...Looks like the only way any help greatly appreciated thanks

Attached Thumbnails Bolts broken in upper control arm mount/subframe-img_20160625_134117100.jpg   Bolts broken in upper control arm mount/subframe-img_20160625_134320799_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Blader; 06-25-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM

Been awhile since I did one. If I remember correctly, and that's not a guarantee, the top nut has some type of holder welded to it. They rust and fail as soon as you try to back the bolt out. You can try to loosen up the sub frame bolts and see if there is enough room to access the area the nut is in. I don't know how far you would have to drop it or if you can even get one side down, but that's a starting point.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks only problem though is who knows how much I would have to loosen the subframe in order to be able to get to the damm bolts might risk damaging other bolt/nut combos.....still wondering if i made a hole through wheel well would it allow access to them?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Maybe? Haven't ever been afforded the opportunity to try something like that but it might be worth the shot. If you do I'd like to know how it comes out

Old 06-27-2016, 06:37 PM

Will do I let u know for sure if I go for it and what Ive done

Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 PM

Well I hope that I solved this for now it was a complete bitch to take it apart. Underneath where theres a long like 6" bolt that is by the strut that bolts the top part of the frame inside motor compartment through the bottom of frame. I couldnt get a socket on it, as a box end wrench wouldnt work in there,since limited space and couldnt get a bar on wrench for leverage, of course I soaked it with rust penetrater. I had to cut off a few inches off the bolt which about 4 inches isnt threaded anyways. I think its this long for assembly purposes. Anyways cut off a few inches then got my deep socket on it with a wrecker bar and got it loosened. Then stuck in a pry bar to hold it down a bit,removed back bolts on end of control arm bracket and center bolt holding it. I was amazed I could pry down traverse bracket a bit but still couldnt get into remove those broken nut/fastener. So I wedged some big washers inbetween the body and traverse bracket which inturn tightened up loose bolts since washers are holding whole bracket part. Retightened up that long bolt by strut and the other center control arm bolt plus other 2 bolts. Tried car and nice and quiet so far, I did put the holding tek screws back in against bolt just in case that u see in pic......hope it holds. Theres no way to get above that bracket unless I loosened the other side long bolts too then it might work but if this holds who cares thanks for your suggestion. It helped

Old 07-01-2016, 07:48 PM

Update went for a good drive yesterday and had one of the washer/shim pop out of outside bolt support,but inner shim is still holding and car is quiet so Im happy no more popping sound inside car when start stopping. Looks like the inside bolt closest to main center bolt was the one causing noise....