Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Default AC issue

Hi all again My mazda with 1.8 liter engine had the ac which wasnt working. I just got this car from my brother inlaw and he told me that it wasnt working. I picked up a recharge ez chill kit from wally mart. I put in a can and right off the bat i found out where the leak was coming from. I removed the line going into compressor and saw that the o ring was toast. So i replaced it and charged it up again as per instructions and Ive done this before on my other mazda. It held the charge and worked great it was blowing as cold as 39F out of vent. I drove car next day and it was still good nice and cold. Went to work the day after and it to was good. But I went out the other day and all of a sudden it stopped working. I had the ez chill gauge with me when I attached it to low side with ac on full it showed no freon. I thought it all leaked out but if i turned off ac and check it again it shows freon in there and I know since i can see it shoot out? Im thinking that I overcharged it and went it got hotter outside all its doing is blowing hot air... I removed more freon today and it still wont work.I hope compressor isnt shot or Im wondering if the pressure switch is preventing it from runnning....not sure where it is exactly and is it electrical or mechanical.....any help would be great thanks

Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Well a bit of a update I talked to a guy that sold me some parts and turns out hes a mech and he thinks i have another leak somwhere as the psi Im reading is residual..I bought a can of leak test and Ill try that and if I cant find it I have a Friday appt @ garage in town it will cost me 70$ for a diagnostic..

Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Well another update,turns out my damm ez chill kit guage exploded almost in my face so I returned it to Walmart and got my money back luckily I didnt get hurt. I took car into mech and after 3 guys spending almost 3 hrs on it they couldnt find leak. I did tell them that every time i opened low side cap I could here a pisst noise, I had shrader out and changed out o ring but the actual valve stem didnt seem to move freely enough and seal,meaning the shrader valve wasnt holding. But when I put it back in it seemed to be holding,I did put in a dye to check for leaks. Here in Canada its hard to get parts like that since they try to sell u a whole line since I remember having similar issue with a Avalanche I owned I had to buy new line... So I didnt see anyleaks so this is why I finally gave up and took it in. The mechs changed shrader out since they saw it was iffy..I asked him if it could leak out through shrader and he said oh yeah,since theres only 1lb and a bit in there... So I had them charge it and put in a dye 170$ later shes a working great....LOL....turns out the youtube video I watched was right most issues are with shrader valves leaking and even with dye u cant tell on shrader valve u need to listen to it via a stethoscope amplifier. Still Im happy but kinda disappointed I couldnt have fixed it myself..