Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

98 Protege--Right rear side suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Question 98 Protege--Right rear side suspension problems

I have a 98 Mazda Protege DX (1.5) that about a week ago started to have some issues with the rear suspension. When I am making a left turn like say off on an exit my right rear wheel feels like its swaying and sometimes depending on my speed feels like im going to lose control. Not to mention when I hit a manhole at any speed or any size bump what so ever I get a loud noise/loud rattling coming from the right rear strut. I pulled the tire off yesterday and just kind of felt around to see if anything felt loose, and everything feels pretty tight. I inspected the struts and thr rubber around the coil over springs is pretty much all gone. I found out that the car never had a sway bar from the factory so i was hoping it was just the end links. I know there is an array of issues that have to do with the rear suspension on these cars as im told. Does anyone have any ideas for me to explore, please help!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah that's a hard one when the car is not here to inspect.
I would think bad shock just as a guess. I'd also check the wheel bearing and hub to make sure there isn't any play in it. If you can feel any play, its worn out.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 AM

yeah another guy said to check the bearings as well, which I guess all i need to do is jack it up with the wheel on and jiggle the tire around correct? A guy at the autozone came out and bounced the rear suspension up and down and it bounced like hell. But what you said made me think that the wheel bearings does make sense but knowing my luck its probably just a bolt loose or something hopefully easy. Thank you for the rather quick reply

Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Question

Originally Posted by Ryan Morgan
... A guy at the autozone came out and bounced the rear suspension up and down and it bounced like hell.
That indicates a blown shock and that will certainly cause the tires to not stay in contact with the road giving that out-of-control feeling.
The AutoZone guy didn't tell you that?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Oh no he sat there I guess listening for a noise while I bounced the rear end up and down lol. I did a little research today and think I have it narrowed down to three possible issues. Blown strut assembly, bad bearings/hub, or loose bolts which I'm getting ready to look into now. So I'm hoping I can figure it out today since I don't feel like buying a new car after this issue sends me off the highway. Just a thought while I'm diving into all this, do you guys think if I went and bought me a rear sway bar and bolted that up that it would benefit me at all?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well first, if the rear end kept bouncing after you let go ( I am assuming that's what you meant,) then its definitely time for shocks/struts.
No, I don't think a rear sway bar will help if there are other issues to deal with first... but you might do one after. It will likely take out some of the understeer inherent in all FWD cars.

Ironically, I spent part of the day yesterday taking my rear suspension apart. I had a bumping noise and when the temps dipped into the lower 40's or below a squeak that was driving me nuts.
At first I thought my aftermarket sway bar links (Heim joints) were to blame. Then I thought perhaps it was a loose or blown shock (the 3 series have shocks in the rear.) I was going to readjust the Koni's anyway to try a different set up, so I pulled both of them and disconnected the sway bar from the links. I could find nothing loose or blown, so I adjust the rebound on the Koni's and reassembled everything.
The bumping noise went away and only a very cold day (not likely at this time of the year) will tell if the squeak is also gone.

Anyway, happy hunting , and I certainly do hope you find out what the problem is before some other catastrophe happens.
Best of luck in that endeaver....