Go Back   Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda Protege
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Default 98 1.5L Protege Rear Motor Mount

The rear motor mount on my 98 Protege 1.5L is totally destroyed and needs to be replaced. I've got the part, but when I went to change it I had no clue how to get the old one off. There's a bulge in the firewall directly above two of the nuts I need to loosen, so there's no way to get a socket on it, or even a closed wrench. It appears that an open wrench from the back is the only possible way to get it, but even then with that I can't get it down onto the nut because of the firewall.

Usually I don't like looking like an idiot, but if someone wants to tell me something obvious that makes me feel like a moron for having to ask, that would be great. I'm totally lost on how to get this thing off.

Thanks!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 98 1.5L Protege Rear Motor Mount

you need to get this off from the top. it is really hard to do if you don't have the right tools. when i did mine, i pulled everything off of the motor behind the intake manifold and pulled everything off of the firewall. then, i used a 2 foot extension with a pivot and a 17mm socket, i believe. it is good to have someone under the car guiding the socket onto the nut while you drop it down into the engine bay. this is still not easy to do, but it is the easiest way to do it.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM

THE MOUNT IS BOLTED DOWN TO THE SUB FRAME SO U HAVE TO REMOVE OR LOWER THE SUBFRAME JUST ENOUGHT TO FIT A SOCKET OVER THE 3 NUTS BEHIND THE MOUNT. THERES NO OTHER WAY AROUND IT TRUST ME. I SPENT HOURS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A WAY AROUND IT.

-1ST REMOVE THE ONE BOLT GOING THRU THE MIDDLE OF THE MOUNT BUT MAKE SURE TO SUPPORT THE ENGINE..I USED A JACK ON THE OIL PAN..
-U ALSO HAVE TO LOOSEN UP THE STEERING RACK SO IT DOESNT GET PULLED ALONG WITH THE SUBFRAME..ITS HELD BY 4 NUTS..2 ON EACH SIDE..
-THEN U STARTREMOVING BOLTS ON THE SUBFRAME...ITS HELD BY 6 BOLTS..1 ON EACH SIDE LOCATED ON TOP OF THE LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND THEN 2 MORE ON EACH SIDE AT EACH END OF THE SUBFRAME.

BECAUSE OF THE CROSSMEMBER BEING BOLTED TO THE MIDDLE OF THE SUBFRAM..IT WILL KEEP IT UP BUT USE JACKSTANDS ON EACH SIDE SO THAT IT DOESNT GO TOO LOW TO THE POINT WHERE U CANT RAISE IT BACK UP....ITS VERY HEAVY..YOU'LL PROBABLY NEED A JACK TO RAISE IT BACK UP..I DID.. HAVE FUN!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

i have never dropped the subframe. i have done a few of these on my cars and other people's cars and above is the way that i do.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM

I removed mine with a flexable head 17 mm wrench, it was a bear to do.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Tags
17mm, 98, bolt, center, engine, firewall, location, mazda, millenia, motor, mount, mounts, protege, rear, remove, replace, side