Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

97 Protege starts but stalls immediately after

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Default 97 Protege starts but stalls immediately after

Hey guys, really need help on this one. Just a college kid with no knowledge about cars really.. but I went to start my 1997 Protege on Sunday and it would start, but then the rpms would just drop to 0 and the car would stall. Someone suggested cleaning the idle air-control valve, but I can't find it, ha. Any other possibilities? Hoping it's not an expensive fix..

Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 PM

This could be fuel delivery problem. Since you are not a car guy forgive me for asking you "stupid" questions that you can check.

Do you have gas in the tank? Shake the car and listen.
does the fuel pump work? Does it hum when you turn the key so the check light go on but the engine doesn't crank?
Do you have fuel pressure? It should be measured.
Do the fuel injectors work?

It could be ignition related.
Do you have a good spark on all cylinders?
Is the battery dead?

I also suggest you get a Haynes manual. These manuals have trouble shooting flow chart. It will help you a lot. It will even tell you where the IAC valve is.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Default Idle air control valve

The IACV is mounted to the underside of the throttle body on the 1994
Protege. It might be in the same place for your vechicle. I have just removed mine and am in the process of testing it to determine if it is defective. I have found that the valve which you can observe by
looking inside does not move when heated with either a hot air gun or by circulating hot water through it. I am looking for feedback as to whether or not this test is conclusive or not. Before it was removed from the vechicle the idle was OK when the engine was cold but during warm-up would stall. It could be easily restarted and there were no other performance issues.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 94mazpro
The IACV is mounted to the underside of the throttle body on the 1994
Protege. It might be in the same place for your vechicle. I have just removed mine and am in the process of testing it to determine if it is defective. I have found that the valve which you can observe by
looking inside does not move when heated with either a hot air gun or by circulating hot water through it. I am looking for feedback as to whether or not this test is conclusive or not. Before it was removed from the vechicle the idle was OK when the engine was cold but during warm-up would stall. It could be easily restarted and there were no other performance issues.
What about unplugging the IAC valve while the car is running. If the idle changes or the car stalls then you can conclude the IAC valve is working?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM

When I first tried this the car idled slightly faster with the IACV connector
unplugged and stalled when I plugged it back in. This is the opposite of what it is supposed to do according to the service manual. The resistance across the connectors was ~12 Ohm which is within spec however the thermal unit inside doesen't move when heated with is consistant with
a malfunction according to the manual. Other ideas?????