Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

How to program a new Keyless Fob for 2003 Protege

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Default How to program a new Keyless Fob for 2003 Protege

Hey all,

Ok, long story short. I have searched on many websites now and have found 3 different ways to reprogram the keyless fobs for Mazdas and Protege's. I've tried them all and they do not work.

My issue is this; all of the steps I have read say that once you turn the key in the ignition 3 times you are to open and close the door 3 times and the system is supposed to respond by locking the door and unlocking it. It does not. I have tried three different combinations of this process, giving the system 40 seconds (according to one set of instructions) between each try. In all cases the car's system does not respond.

So this is where I am going to get a little obtuse: My back passenger side door lock does not work with the keyless system. I have not looked to see what the exact problem is with the locking mechanism. Each time the doors are unlocked I hear a mechanical sound like something is turning but the locking mechanism does not lock or unlock the door. (the lock tab does not move up or down with the keyless system, I can manually lock and unlock the door.)

Is this a possible reason why the keyless system will not go into program mode? Or worse, is there something else that is causing a problem? I'd really rather not have to take the car in for this. Money is tight at the moment, otherwise I'd have taken it in to have this problem fixed already.

Now for another twist (very sorry for trying anyone's patience.) The main reason why I am reprogramming the fobs is that I lost my 2nd set and my brother has an extra fob from his Miata. Now, I am uncertain of whether or not if the Miata fob will even work on my Protege. If the case is that the Miata fob will not work then part of this whole issue is moot, however, knowing whether or not if I have to get the back door fixed or even if there is a greater problem at hand in the system, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to any who take the time to read this and to those who help.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM

open car get in close all doors... open driver door locate the button on door frame ..... turn switch on &off 3 times then hit button on door 3 times u should hear door locking or other noise ... then press any button on remote 3 times then hit door button 3 time again ur done easy

Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM

did u get it ??

Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 02slickpro
did u get it ??
02slickpro,

Thank you very much for your response. I have not tried your suggestion yet.

To make sure I understand your instructions, am I supposed to turn the key in the ignition at any point or only do what is in your given instructions?

The other question is regarding hitting the door switch, am I to lock or unlock the door, or does it matter?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 AM

just leave unlock .... key in ignition just leave there .