Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

91 SOHC Hold light flashes but not storing code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Default 91 SOHC Hold light flashes but not storing code?

Hey guys.
I got this 91 protege about 2 months back for free. it needed some work, I found the battery was toast, the Alt wasn't putting out enough voltage, and it was low on ATF.
I bought a re-man Alt, got a new battery, and filled the trans.

everything has been great with the car, until last night. the stock radio started flashing, no sound coming out. then it started shifting funny, I turned off the headlights while driving and the radio went back to normal.
So im thinking ok the cheap alternator I got has given up. but when I get home HOLD light starts flashing.

I did my research and found that i need to connect TEN and GRD and count the flashes. the problem is when I connected them and clicked them on, no more flashing hold.

thinking it was a fluke I drove it today, All electronics where working, but about half a mile down the road and i started hearing a beeping sound, like the one that goes off when your seat belt isn't buckled, but no lights where on. 2 miles later I realized it wasn't shifting in to 4th, then the radio started cutting out. sitting at a light it was fighting to stay alive. i tossed a multi meter on the battery and i found that it was only sitting at 12.53 while running.
I shut off everything and drove the rest of the way to work, went back to shifting normal, and wasn't idling rough, pulled in to my parking spot and hold light starts up again. shut it off and connect TEN and GRD again, and nothing, light goes way when i key it back on?

Do you think that the two are related? is it possible that the alt not charging enough could cause the trans to act up?
like its not getting enough volts to run everything and shift in to 4th?
Id rather not toss an Alt in the car of the trans is about to go.

thanks in advance

Old 11-02-2016, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Get the voltage issue fixed 1st, then worry about the trans. Most likely it won't store a code after the key has been turned off.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

I think you should carefully check the battery cable and ground connections. Make sure there isn't any corrosion between the wire and crimped on ends. That can cause all kinds of weird, intermittent electrical issues. Or just replace them. After 25 years they don't owe anybody anything.
Also, Protégé's are known to have weak body to engine ground connections. You might want to even add in a new one.