Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2002 Protege - stuck headlamp connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Default 2002 Protege - stuck headlamp connector

Hi all - stupid problem here. went to change the headlight on the drivers side in my 2002 Protege LX, which I have done before with no problem. On this model both the high and low beams are together in one unit, you just remove the white connector off the back, take off the rubber gasket thing and remove a metal clip. I have had zero problems doing this simple task in the past, but this time the white plastic wiring connector will not come off. I've tried everything and if I try any harder its going to break. I even tried taking off the connector on the passenger side just to see if there was something wrong with the one on the drivers side and it wont come off either! Again, this is a task I have done before on both the Protege and a 2003 MPV we also drive, no problems. Any one have any tips? Is there any reason that these connectors could have become so damn stuck? TIA!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Probably melted to the bulb.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:14 PM

I thought about that but can't find any evidence of it. Fortunately since its the drivers side I can see it pretty well, used a bright light and a mirror but there is no evidence of melting of the plastic. I'm wondering more about corrosion of the metal contacts, but the headlamp bulb is only a couple of years old and there have been no other electrical problems, would seem very odd.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 AM

Very likely corrosion. I had a similar problem and it was a combination of that plus the connector had overheated and partially melted making the problem even worse. Simple solution: just cut the wires, buy an exact replacement connector (usually come with wires sticking out) and solder it back on using heat shrink tubing and electrical tape to make it right.

Then when you install the new bulb, make sure you apply some di-electric grease onto the bulb terminals (sold in auto parts stores). You'll never have a problem getting the connector back off in the future.