Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1998 mazda protege auto trans drain plug location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Default 1998 mazda protege auto trans drain plug location?

Hi,

I have a 1998 mazda protege with auto transmission, i was trying to change the transmission fluid by draining it through the drain plug, I know the location of the oil pan but could not find the location of drain plug. Does anyone know the location of drain plug?

Thank you!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 PM

I happen to have the Haynes manual handy. It shows the drain plug at the underside of the differential. There is this cross member going from the front to the cabin. That piece has an access opening through which you get to the plug.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
I happen to have the Haynes manual handy. It shows the drain plug at the underside of the differential. There is this cross member going from the front to the cabin. That piece has an access opening through which you get to the plug.
Does the manual have any diagram or something you can post here?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 AM

Sorry, I don't have a picture. The drive shafts come out of the differential. So it is easy to locate that part. Look at the differential from below and you should see the drain plug.

I could not find a goo picture of a protege underside. But this Subaru looks shockingly similar. The Subaru does not have a cross member or it has been removed. That makes it clear.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Sorry, I don't have a picture. The drive shafts come out of the differential. So it is easy to locate that part. Look at the differential from below and you should see the drain plug.

I could not find a goo picture of a protege underside. But this Subaru looks shockingly similar. The Subaru does not have a cross member or it has been removed. That makes it clear.
Thank you

Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM

I did the trans fluid on my daughters 97 about 6months ago. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the torque converter. Its round and I think its the lowest part of the transmission and I'm pretty sure it was an Allen bolt. After you drain that, remove the transmission pan and more fluid will drain out. I do recall some of the pan bolts were difficult to get at because the crossmember was in the way, but I was able to do it with a universal extension on the socket. I changed the transmission filter with a kit from AutoZone which includes a pan gasket. Even if you don't change the filter you may need the gasket to replace the pan. The one on there was cork and it did not come off in one piece. The only way I can think of to drain any more fluid would be to disconnect the hose from the transmission cooler; I did not do this.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bstew7890
I did the trans fluid on my daughters 97 about 6months ago. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the torque converter. Its round and I think its the lowest part of the transmission and I'm pretty sure it was an Allen bolt. After you drain that, remove the transmission pan and more fluid will drain out. I do recall some of the pan bolts were difficult to get at because the crossmember was in the way, but I was able to do it with a universal extension on the socket. I changed the transmission filter with a kit from AutoZone which includes a pan gasket. Even if you don't change the filter you may need the gasket to replace the pan. The one on there was cork and it did not come off in one piece. The only way I can think of to drain any more fluid would be to disconnect the hose from the transmission cooler; I did not do this.
Thank you, that was helpful

Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...AE354057B!2642

My daughter came home today. If I did this correctly, the link above will show you the opening in the crossmember with the round drain plug in the middle of the opening. The pan is to the left of it ("left" being driver's side).