Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1997 mazda protege surge/hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Default 1997 mazda protege surge/hesitation

Whenever i push on the throttle it surges or hesitates and it doesnt come out of it. if you hold the throttle down long enough with it surging the check engine light starts blinking. I recently did a clutch change on it and replaced the fuel filter and dumped some fuel treatment in it. what is causing this?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Banned

Please read: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...g%C3%A9-31136/

Blinking cel usually means misfire from bad ignition coil. Also check for vac leaks.

MILEAGE?

@100,000 change all ignition coils along with spark plugs, always change plugs when changing ignition coils. Does your car have rotor and distributor cap, change these too!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-27-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 PM

it has rotor and distributor

Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Banned

Did you read the link?
here's an important part of it:
Misfiring: replace spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I don't trust these ignition parts if they have 35K miles or more on them. If misfiring persists it may be that oil leaks into the base of the distributor covering the optic timing sensor. Remove, clean and replace a seal. If there is oil at the bottom of the spark plug tubes replace the valve cover gasket set.
If you just changed the timing belt and it misfires like hell then your belt alignment is off by 1 tooth. Do not replace ignition parts in this case.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM

yes i did read the link. its not that its misfiring it runs just fine when idoling but if you step on the throttle to hard it just hesitates and surges. but if you very slowly lean into the throttle it doesnt do it. but the second you hit the throttle to hard it just starts surging

Old 04-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Banned

it's still a misfire and /or a vac leak.
Do what the link says: check for vac leaks first.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 PM

This sounds like a big vacuum leak. Usually, the air intake hose is cracked. You may not see it immediately but when you bend it the cracks show particular in the rippled area. Clean the exterior of the air intake hose with soap and water or MAF sensor cleaner, then wrap it with two layers of quality duct tape.

This hesitation is caused by misfiring when there is not enough fuel injected. That fuel enters the exhaust and overloads the catalytic converter. That's why the CEL is blinking.

Last edited by tanprotege; 04-28-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Sounds exactly what my daughter was putting up with on her '99 Protege. Since she is very light on the throttle, it was not a big issue but I drive it harder and the hesitation drove me nuts! Went away as soon as you backed off the throttle. Put in new plugs and thought about changing wires and coils but never got around to do it.

Had it into the mechanic for a power steering line repair this summer and he asked "do you have any drivability issues?" When I answered yes, he pointed out all the cracks in the large plastic air tube going from the air filter box into the fuel injection intake. The accordian design of the tube made it all but impossible to see the cracks until you moved it back and forth with your hand. It was full of cracks some rather large! As a quick fix, I simply wrapped the whole thing with numerous turns of electrical tape to try to seal things up and it actually worked for a few days until I just bought a new one from Mazda parts for around $75; couldn't be bothered trying the wreckers since they would all likely be cracked as well.

Now that little 1.6 L engine runs like a Formula ! car!!!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:08 AM

I had an impression that it was an ECU issue.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brenden
it has rotor and distributor

And a coil. the coil is built into the distributor.

Quick Reply: 1997 mazda protege surge/hesitation