Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 Protege crazy wiring,or...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Default 02 Protege crazy wiring,or...?

Bought that 02 ES for my daughter, and here it is - when I turn the blower fan switch on and the heat distributor switch is in "legs" ," windshield"or 'both" position- my two rad fans start blowing even thou the engine is still cold .That doesn't happen when the heat switch is in the "face" or "face/legs" positon . Previous owner put the aftermarket remote starter in it so maybe he screwed some things up or else.I'd appreciate any suggestions ,thx in advance

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM

This is normal, unfortunately. You'll notice you also can't change to recirc air mode while you have the air position in defrost, defrost/floor. Your forced to use fresh air. It's great when you're driving in an area where someone is burning leaves and trash .
Your AC compressor switches on with you use defrost. Air conditioning dries out air, so it's set up to remove moisture. It's aggravating to me that you can't override that and set it however you want. I assume the radiator fan is also kicked on due to the extra AC compressor load on the engine. Makes sense. Mine's the same and we bought it brand new in 02.
I'd haven't paid attention to what it does in floor only mode, I rarely use that. I'll have to try that one, but I think mine's the same.
Check your private messages, too. PM sent.

Last edited by vw.fe2o3; 04-02-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Finally found the solution on the ( don't know if I can post it here) -did the "switcheroo" cut in center column , disabling two small switches that activate AC for 'faster" defrosting/deffogging . Let me know if I can post the link here or I'll be happy to send it via PM's