Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

wierd ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Default wierd ignition lock cylinder

Vehicle: 87 B2000

Problem: Bad lock cylinder?

Here is the situation, when you turn the key it just falls into the start position, no dentents, no resistance.

Oh yeah, you can also pull the key out in any position you wish.

Do I need to replace the whole combo switch, the Igintion switch or just the lock cylinder?

Makes it kinda hard to drive when the starter stays engaged.[8D]

Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Default RE: wierd ignition lock cylinder

There is two seperate problems here.

Here is the situation, when you turn the key it just falls into the start position, no dentents, no resistance.
The spring resistance and detents are all in the ignition electrical portion of the switch. The switch needs replacing.

Oh yeah, you can also pull the key out in any position you wish.
I had a 323 of the same vintage with the same problem. The teeth are most likely worn down on the key itself. What I did was to get a duplicate new key made and it took care of the problem.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 AM

Thats good that it's just the switch (easy fix), and it looks like the key is new, but I will make a duplicate just to see.

Is it possible for the lock cylinder to be worn to the point that it no longer holds onto the key? Or did someone try to steal this truck at some point? (any kind of key works to turn switch)

The cylinder it self is whole, nothing funky about it. No punch marls, not drilled.

And the best part of all, I don't think I have to pull the steering wheel to get the cylinder out. Not like the older chevrolet's........

thank you for that letting me know that.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 PM

I didn't know you had the problem of any key will work in it. The tumblers in the lock cylinder are worn down too far then. Don't know if a locksmith can fix that...if this is cost effective!

Old 03-03-2006, 03:42 AM

I looked through all my catalogs at the store while I was working and found that I could get the Electrical switch, but not the Lock Cylinder.

I would have to order the switch from an Alabama Warehouse which would involve Shipping and handeling fees.

I do have a local wrecking yard that has a few switches in stock (30 day warranty against failure). Of course there is always the stealer (dealer) [sm=smiley5.gif]. They more than likely could get it, but I would have to give up an arm and a leg first.

It's almost as if something sticky was on the key when it was inserted in the cylinder[sm=nono.gif]. He will try to clean the tumblers tommorow and see what happens.

I think if cleaning it up improves it, we may be able to use that cylinder any way.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:43 PM

Well I found a wrecking yard in troutdale close to my dads house that has several ignition switches.

If I went through my NAPA warehouse I would be paying $90.00 plus $15.00 for S/H. That is WITH my employee discount.

The wrecking yard wants $80.00 straight up. (they aint cheap either)

But if it gets the truck going again, we will gladly pay it.

Local (for my dad) dealers in vancouver want about 150-200 bucks for it. [sm=badidea.gif]