Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

radiator lower port mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Default radiator lower port mystery

I removed the radiator from my 92 mazda b2600 and apparently wasnt paying much attention because upon getting ready to reinstall i see a port on the lower drivers side, that i am unsure what it is, it is just inboard of the lower hose connection and i dont remember there being any type of hose or tube connected to it. Any ideas what it is.?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trans cooler pipe? Drain bung?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 PM

Post on mazdatrucking.com, they'll know, and show their pictures.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Picture of mentioned port

Attached Thumbnails radiator lower port mystery-radiator2.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 09:17 AM

automatic transmission cooler line. the other line is to the right, bent about 90 deg. if your car does not have an automatic transmission, a lot of the time, aftermarket radiators are sold like this, so only one radiator has to be stocked. it will fit both auto and manual trans. inside the radiator is a sealed tube that the automatic transmission fluid flows thru. when cold, it helps the fluid heat up to operating temps. when hot, it helps keep the fluid cool. since it is sealed, and it sounds like you have a manual trans, dont worry about it.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:48 PM

So the line circled is for an automatic transmission? I do have a manual, so what is the line that is bent 90 degrees?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by USN SENIOR CHIEF
So the line circled is for an automatic transmission? I do have a manual, so what is the line that is bent 90 degrees?
one is the inlet, the other is the outlet. i dunno which is which, but like i said, aftermarket radiators do this all the time. take some flexible line, attach it to either end, blow into it, and put you finger by the other end, you will feel the air come out.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM

So I am fine to leave it as it is or should I cap the port off?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by USN SENIOR CHIEF
So I am fine to leave it as it is or should I cap the port off?
leave it as is.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:27 AM

You can cap off the ports if you like, above information is correct, they are ports for automatic transmission fluid. But consider yourself lucky: such radiators are 2-row, and offer better cooling than the 1-row radiators that 5-speed trucks came with.

I believe most retailers now just stock or list the 2-row radiator like you have, so one model will fit both automatic and 5-speed trucks.

I have such 2-row radiator in my 5-speed B2200, helps in Arizona desert heat. On mine, the ports could unscrew. And I left them uncapped.

Quick Reply: radiator lower port mystery