Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

possible winter project? or parts donor?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Default possible winter project? or parts donor?

im buying my first truck slash vehicle (dont count the sentra that only ran for two days at a time and got scrapped) 92 b22 the body has 380000 kms (sorry americans im canadian and dont know what that is in miles but i know its alot!) motor thats in it has 160000kms ( not too bad for a 92!). the truck comes with the original motor (in the bed none the less). what im wondering is it worth it to tear down the original motor and get it machined? i was thinking of just scrapping the motor but a friend thinks i should entertain myself over the winter and rebuild it. let me know what u think realisticly. and if u have any sites with specs on this sort of thing let me know.

little fun part is, the only reason the old motor got taken out was cause the head gasket went!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Default RE: possible winter project? or parts donor?

So long as there isn't any damage anywhere in the motor (cracks, etc), there isn't any real reason to scrap it. You can have the heads decked, have the block hot tanked & completely rebuild it just as good as new. It's a great learning experience. Make sure you use plastigage to properly size your bearings to the journals. It will seem like you are putting it together and taking it apart, but that is what must be done to get it right. Plastigage is like a thread (a very accurate diameter thread) that you place across the bearing, you then install the crankshaft and torque down the mains. Remove the mains and you measure how far out the thread squishes in order to measure the clearance between the crank & the bearings.

Get a manual, and make sure you follow the proper torque sequences/values when assembling and you'll do just fine.

Oh yeah....you multiply km*0.62 to get miles 203,000+ miles....that is a ton of miles, but I've seen plenty of vehicles still running at that mileage.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Default RE: possible winter project? or parts donor?

oh yeah i know all taht stuff, did a college course. i was planning on doing an aprenticeship, but i love working on cars way too much. id much rather keep it a hobby. im looking at going back to school, but tahts not for a year. my project is this truck while i can afford it before i get over burddened with student loans lol.