Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

NO power, engine chugging with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Default NO power, engine chugging with acceleration

I have an 88 b2200 carbbed ... i had it sitting for about 6 months. I got it started recently and decided to clean out the EGR valve and passages with carb cleaner to get rid of carbon build up. I put the EGR valve back on and went for a drive and found there was just no power. I could hardly get out of 2nd gear (it's automatic) and it kind of chugs a bit when trying to floor the accelerator pedal.

I then decided to replace the following:

- plugs
- wires
- distributor cap / rotor

Still same issue - when I put the EGR valve back on, one of the bolts sheared off. So it's only held on by 2 bolts ... could that be the issue? Perhaps there's not a proper seal?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 PM

Did you put stabilizer in it before you let it sit for 6 months? The fuel may have varnished on you and gummed up your carb. I'd do a thorough cleaning/rebuild of the carb.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 AM

So you don't think it could be the EGR valve not making a seal? I did spray the carb with that cleaner ... nearly a whole bottle went through and then it puffed out blue exhaust for a couple minutes until it cleared up.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 PM

No sure....you could have just loosened up some crap when you sprayed it out. I wouldn't think the EGR valve would have that drastic of an effect. EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is basically pumping exhaust back through the engine again to get more complete combustion/better emissions. I would recommend fixing the mount and having it fully seated/properly sealed. You know that's not right.

Rebuilding/cleaning the carb is more than just spraying carb cleaner where you can see it. There are tons of small passages within the carb that if fuel is allowed to sit, overtime it will gum up. You need to take it fully apart and really soak it in the stuff, use compressed air to push it through all of the passages, etc.

FYI....If you puffed blue smoke, that's oil, not fuel that got burned up. Excess fuel burns black, not blue. Do a compression check and see if the cylinders are consistent. Pretty easy with an inline-4.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 AM

You may have a big vacuum leak at the EGR valve now, with only two bolts holding it and did you use a NEW EGR gasket? I'd take off the EGR valve again. With no pressure holding it in, the broken bolt should be straightforward to extract. If enough is sticking out, grab with a vise-grips and unscrew. Otherwise, try to tap it counterclockwise with a small screwdriver and a hammer. Last resort would be to drill a small hole in the broken part, then use an extractor tool. You know it's not rusted in, etc., you recently had that bolt out.