Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

No acceleration in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Default No acceleration in reverse

Recently my son overheated his B4000, V6. I don't know how much, but replaced the radiator, top hose, thermostat. Lower hose was not available that day in my small town and never got replaced. Ok for a couple of weeks, now he says it losing coolant and heating up. Now, it has no acceoeration in reverse, seems to be fine in drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Auto or manual? I am guessing auto. Do the basic things first, check for leaks while running and in the morning after sitting overnight. If there are no leaks then the chances go way up that there is some engine damage, most likely a cracked head and the engine is burning the coolant, is there steam out the exhaust and does it smell funny? Why did the engine overheat? What is the transmission fluid level (if auto)? Also please put your vehicle in your signature, saves us all from asking what year, trans etc.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Yes, auto. Some smoke on start up, my son says it stops, but I'm wary of that. I'll check smell. Leaking radiator caused overheat. I feared head gasket or cracked head. Can I tell before it comes off?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Some parts stores sell a kit that you use to test your coolant for hydrocarbons, this lets you know if combustion gases are getting into the coolant from a cracked head/blown gasket, you can also rent a coolant system pressure tester, this pressurizes the cooling system to normal pressure with a hand pump, any drop in pressure over time means you have a leak somewhere inside or outside the engine. This is the gas tester TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL which is MUCH cheaper than the pressure tester.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks, MazdaTirol, I'll look for one of those kits. Any thoughts on low acceleration in reverse? It moves, but not even at idle speed.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 PM

The only thing I can think of that is related to the overheating would be that the transmission overheated when the coolant ran out (if it used the radiator as the transmission cooler), maybe the reverse clutch band/clutch pack is toast and the transmission is slipping internally? Does it rev up like its in neutral when its in reverse or does it just sit there and act like your foot is on the brake?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 PM

just sits there. I just drove it for the first time. Not much acceleration in drive either. As you say, if the transmission uses the radiator for a cooler, it may be fried as well. This one may be a lesson for my 20 yr old, and one in parenting. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Check the fluid level first, it MIGHT be just low and I hope it is. How far did he drive with it overheating?