Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Need a photo ..

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Default Need a photo ..

well, I finally tackled the rotting leaf spring brackets and schackles on my sons 97 b2300, but idiot me I didn't take a photo of how the emergency brake cable goes back together before I disconnected it at the front driver side next to the spring bracket ( next to the gas tank). Would anyone be able to snap a photo of this so I can be confident of how it routes and reconnects? I especially want to make sure I have the springs going back to the right holes...

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM

I looked for Ford Ranger (=Mazda B series) on Google and came up with this here:

Name:  parkingbrakeoverview.jpg
Views: 5560
Size:  77.9 KB
If it does not help i may be able to take an actual picture when the rain stops.

This happens to be of a Ford F 150. http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53607

Last edited by tanprotege; 09-12-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Thanks Tan...that looks a little different than what I have - I don't have any bracket - just the main cable and the cable for the other side and a connecting tang. It has two springs, a large one and a small one. I'm pretty sure the small one just keeps the cable suspended and I believe the large one adds tension, but for the life of me I can't remember how it goes back together and the parking brake just goes to the floor :-(

I knew I should have taken a photo but was to much in a hurry. That's never a good idea. I'll see if I can get a photo of what I have and uploaded in the hopes that somebody can say "put that spring there".

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 PM

o.k.
I have checked the Haynes manual and it is useless in this regard. Then i googled for "Ranger parking brake equalizer" and found this picture with 2 springs: a large one and a small one. the small one is only partially visible.
Parking brake installation problems - Ford Ranger Forum
Name:  LTEyApj.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  77.6 KB

Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM

You nailed it - thats it! It looks to me like that cable on the right goes through a hole in the leaf spring bracket - I don't recall there being a bracket there but the thing was such a mess when i removed it I may have missed it. If there was, I have the new leaf spring on and don't want to remove it, so I may have to rig a bracket that I weld on or something. Thanks for all your help - I was really pulling my hair out on this one...

Ron

Old 09-14-2014, 04:18 PM

Update: So I figured out that if I put a lever under the frame and press down on the spring, I can get the front leaf spring bolt out w/o taking the entire thing apart. Given this, I figured I'd order the correct part (#2530 - Parking brake cable bracket rear) to hold that cable. Had a dickens of a time finding it, and ended up paying nearly $40 without a lot of confidence that I'll actually get the part, so we'll see. If that doesn't work, I'm going to take 1/8 steel and fab something that will bolt up there. It doesn't look like it needs to be that complex. I'm a little surprised at how hard it was to find - it's pretty hard to take that flange off w/o destroying that bracket, and I know a bunch of guys have had to replace the flange, so what did they do? (I wonder to myself...)

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Well, I am glad I could help and hope I will never have to do this on my son's B2300.

Post a picture when you have it done.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 PM

ok, so it seems like the cable support bracket is not/will never be available, so off to Lowes I go for some 1/8 steel bar stock. And here's the result:

It bends just a bit more than I'd like, so I'm going to reinforce it with another bar screwed to the frame, but it works really well (and cheap too!)

Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 PM

Unfortunately, the link to your picture does not work for me.

UseYourNoggin detailed how to upload pictures here:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...cs-post-30904/

Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM

Ok, here we go....