Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

I'll bet my b2200 makes more smoke than your!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Default I'll bet my b2200 makes more smoke than your!

I recently bought a 1989 b2200 to have a little fun in — already I'm not having fun. I had the head shaved and trued, but there was no subsequent discernible smoke abatement. I can still manufacture enough white smoke to hide the entire U.S. Pacific Fleet. Aside from that unwanted Guinness world record, my engine runs like a Swiss watch.

I'm not exactly Mr. Goodwrench, I could use a little consultation here. Where should I be looking for what? As I view the engine from a safe distance, nothing obvious jumps out like a crack in the block, cascading coolant, or anything like that. Maybe it's something more sneaky like a cracked cylinder wall.

The previous owner let slip that his wife once drove the truck home long after even a [moron] would have turned the key off — "fortunately" no harm was done he added.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Default RE: I'll bet my b2200 makes more smoke than your!

well white smoke is defenitly coolant. if its not your head its getting into the ignition somewhere. cracked cylinder wall might be plausable, but I am not knowledgeable in it enough to know, I do however figure that if you had a crack in the wall you would have air in your coolant lines. or your oil would have coolant in it, and vis versa. a cracked cylinder would mean lower pressure ? only place I know for fact coolant can get into the mix is through the headgasket. and if the stupid woman didnt turn it off that would warp the head. even if you got it straight and trued or whatever the term was. the shop could have screwed up and not done it propper. my neighbour down stairs LITERALLY had to take his truck back 3 times for them to warranty the work. the idiots didnt do it right becuase it was leaking and smoking and the true charicteristics of a leak in the head. THREE times they did it fourth time it is finaly all good and done right. depending on how much you paid for the thing maby think about a new engine ? or sell the thing to someone who will. if your not mechanicaly inclined your just going to put money into it for someone else to figure out and they dont have YOUR best interest when it comes to that.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 PM

does the smoke clear up after a few minutes??........did you have the valve guide seals replaced?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks tnerd for your comments, I wouldn't have the heart to sell my truck until I find the cause of the problem. I didn't really think the cylinder wall might have been cracked, I was just being ironic.

Re: toddluck's question: No, the the smoke doesn't clear up — it'll smoke until the engines runs out of gas. Apparently, it's not accumulated moisture — the leak keeps the smoke going. It's no worse at the outset than after the engine has been running.

I'm curious to know why you asked about the valve guide seals, is there a connection?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM

I'm having the same problem.If you fix yours please let me know what it is. I am waiting for the weather to get better to try checking out the intake manifold gasket. I had the head rebuilt by a very reputable machine shop. I have never had a problem with any of there work. I took a great bit of time to put the head gasket on, and torque it down,but I just slapped the intake on. I cannot remember if there were coolant going thru the intake, but I think it does, and it says in manual to drain coolant system. That could only be if coolant is going thru intake. Plus it will be less work and money to check that first than to go and pull off the head. If anyone knows that this couldn't be the problem please say.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 PM

hey! it sounds like yall have that worked out so I have another question...I have an 88 b2200, auto, a/c, and I have oil in my radiator NOT antifreeze in my oil. The engine runs smooth as silk with 195k and and does not smoke. I just bought it and put new timing belt, waterpump, valve cover gasket, thermostat and crankshaft seal and no problems except for the oil in radiator. Any idea????
Also, what other 2.2 mazda motors will fit?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 AM

Oil in radiator means broken head gasket in most cases...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 PM

big boy I asked about the valve guide seals becouse our trucks are famouse for leaking past them....sounds like you have a bad head gasket or craked head

Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Bigboy, I have a 1992 B2200, 125,000 milesand had the same thing happen to me, head gasket blew, I had the head totally gone over, resurfaced the whole 9 yards, put it back together, smoke out the wazoo, big time. Took it back apart the second time, back to the machine shop. Had the head magnafluxed, different brand valve seals installed, put it back together with the same result. The only thing we can come up with and this sounds dumb but it must be true, is now the top end of the motor is sealed tighter than the bottom end (rings) and it is sucking or pulling oil past the rings. What I did was I switchedfrom regular oil to synthetic based oil. It smoked like a feen with regular oil and now doesn't smoke at allusing the synthetic.Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 AM

Bigboy
Have you figured out the smoke problem? If so what was the problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'll bet my b2200 makes more smoke than your!