Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

How good are the Mazda trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Default How good are the Mazda trucks?

I am looking for a truck and just ran across a Mazda b2200 1990 truck. It has the extra seats which I need , a 2.2 engine and automatic transmission. The Body probably has over 200k on it. But the engine was replaced with one from a wrecked one that had 130k. I have never bought a vehicle with this high mileage but I have heard they last a long time. It seems to run great, it just sounds different to what I am use to. It has good pickup but was a little sluggish going from 20-40 at times. I also need it to be able to pull a Vintage trailer that weighs about 900-1000 pounds. I was able to pull the trailer with a 98 sunfire auto 2.2 liter engine with no problems. The body is almost flawless and looks good except for a few places where the paint is off. Its a good price I think at 2000. I am going to look and drive it again this afternoon after work and will probably buy it. Anything to look at for problems? IT also has the brake light on. The brakes work great but the guy said it probably was low or needed a sensor. Any comments or such?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Default RE: How good are the Mazda trucks?

You can check to see if the fluid is low just by looking in the master cylinder reservior under the hood. $2K for a 17 year old truck doesn't seem that great of a deal to me...I just paid $4500 for a 2000 Taurus with 90K miles and like new. Your trailer is pretty small, so just about any car could also tow it. I would think you could geta newer/nicer vehicle for the same or just a little more $$$.

I'm always leery of anything the owner has a quick explanation for (especially warning lights and such.) If it doesn't feel to be running right, trust your gut instinct and walk away, or low-ball the owner with the expectation you will be performing some kind of repair in the near future.

Kelley Blue Book value ranges from $1000-1600. with $1600 being in Excellent condition (i.e. perfect, no warning lights, no rough running, etc.)

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...QuizConditions=

Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the input. The price could be better and I may see if I can get it for less. I want to put the guy on the spot a little more. The things I really like is that it does have a excellent body,I checked for rust and could not find any. It has had a newer engine in it. The work it needs I can do cheaply like seat covers and installing my own radio. It has a new exhaust, the chrome wheels and fairly new tires. I was wanting one that has room in behind the seats which it does. If I can get this to last about 3-4 years that would be what I would like to do then maybe have a remanufactered engine and tranny put in. I do have another truck,a 99 Ranger located. I can get it for 3 grand but it has been hit lightly. The guy is having the sheetmetal replaced that is bad. So all I would have to do is to paint one fender. I hate looking for a vehicle because I just have a hard time finding one worth the money.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM

Well , I went ahead and bought it. After going back and driving it the thing drove great. I got about 2 gallons of gas to try it out. Then on the way home after getting it we got about 10 gallons. It took off like a rocket then with the new gas. Anyway I drove it about 20 miles and meet my wife and child. We drove it back to the guy who had it . My wife and child really liked it,that was one reason for buying it. Another was even though it may have been about 400 over book value I had the cash, no extra loan involved. Its in really great shape and its hard to believe it even has over 100k. Heres the story on it. I was able to take more time with the guy and ask a lot of questions. The truck was owned by a college professor who parked it for about 3 years. He decided to fix it upfor his son. They put a engine and probably the transmision out of one with 130k. It looks and drives like the person who had it took care of it.The Professor had a lot of things redoneon it for his son. He even hadthe big 22 inch? or larger rims on it with the thin tires. The guy I got it from does a lot of customizing and wanted the rims for a Mazda truck he had. The guy took the chromerims that were factory I think and put them on the truck I got. The tires on the rims I got probably have less than 1000 miles. They are just barely worn. The body is straight and perfect.As far as the mileage its notwhats on the speedometer. The professor had replaced the speedometer because the orginal speedo was bad. This truck with the exception of the paint looks and drives like he had everything reworked or gone through. The reason the professors son wanted to sell it was because he wanted to trade it in on a Ranger truck the guy I bought it from had. I figure also because the Ranger had more "bling". I really like the truck and the more I drive it the more I like it. We put about 80 miles on it tonight test driving it and then driving it home.My wife keeps saying "my truck" so I may loose it still yet to her.I told her weshould find another one of thesewith or without the extra cab and I can drive that one. So I am now a member of theMazda owners club.