Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

How to check engine light codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Default How to check engine light codes?

hey all,

Engine light came on this morning just before heading to work. I was browsing the web trying to find out how to check your engine code but nothing has been helpful so far. How can I find this out? One webpage told me to plug in a single green connector to my chassis.. but where this is, I have no idea. A Picture would be worth 1000 words but I have yet to find one. There is of course no owners manual in this 1992 b2600i so I'm stuck with hoping someone can shed some light on this situation. Hope to hear from you soon or I'll have to take it in to a shop where they will no doubt rip me off for something that could be very minor. Thanks a lot,
MrNah.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM

At 60K miles, 80K, 120K, etc., the Malfunction Indicator Light will come on, supposedly so you get dealer to check emissions but more likely so they can try to sell you a timing belt replacement. By the way, do get the timing belt replaced every 60K miles, and maybe get the water pump changed at the 120K point along with it, as it's an internal water pump, behind the timing belt, and mine started leaking at that point, so it's a big labor savings $$$ to do both at once. The Malfunction Indicator Light is re-set by swapping a wire push-on connector under the dash, driver side, right next to the firewall; it's hard to see, lie down and look up, there will be a bare connector, just swap it, then swap back next time the light goes on at that set interval.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM

I was browsing the web trying to find out how to check your engine code but nothing has been helpful so far. How can I find this out?
I'd like to know the same, have done the same and experienced the same ..but for 1992 Mazda 626. Not because the Engine light came on but simply would like to know how to retrieve the diagnostic codes. A chart of their meanings would be a big plus!

Thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM

just get you a handheld scanner for under $100 and check it yourself. You can clear the codes to.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM

or take it to a parts store they will usually scan your car for free.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Default reading codes

Adamg17.
You gave good information.I'm trying to find the type of diagnostic code reader that I'll need.I have A 1990 2600i Mazda truck. i've tried to ground the green pin on the fire wall to get codes or get A code from the check engine light. But now I;v been told that you dont get codes that way. You have got to ground the green pin on the fire wall,But you have a code reader hooked to what you are working on to be able to get the code. I would very much apprechait if you could clear this item up. And if you or anyone ho reads this knows what type of reader or A model number.Id love to hear from you.
THANKS.for all the info.
hushpups.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 PM

Well, I must say you were dead on with your advice. I have a 92 B2600i that the engine light came on at 205.000 miles. Read this blog and went out to see what would happen. Switched the wires and presto, the light was out. Immediately took the truck to have it inspected. I was told it easily passed. Not bad for a truck with that many miles and set for nearly two years. Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by Cusser
At 60K miles, 80K, 120K, etc., the Malfunction Indicator Light will come on, supposedly so you get dealer to check emissions but more likely so they can try to sell you a timing belt replacement. By the way, do get the timing belt replaced every 60K miles, and maybe get the water pump changed at the 120K point along with it, as it's an internal water pump, behind the timing belt, and mine started leaking at that point, so it's a big labor savings $$$ to do both at once. The Malfunction Indicator Light is re-set by swapping a wire push-on connector under the dash, driver side, right next to the firewall; it's hard to see, lie down and look up, there will be a bare connector, just swap it, then swap back next time the light goes on at that set interval.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM

if the truck is older then 92 you have to use the old obd 1 scanner, if newer then you should be able to hook directly up to the computer and read codes