Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

fuel pump change issues.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Default fuel pump change issues.

on sunday i bought a new fuel pump for my 1987 B2000 with 140k miles on it. i changed out the pump and hooked it up right, done a few dozen pumps in the past 20 years and even a few imports. i crank the truck to prime and purge any air out of the lines and then it fires right up and idles smooth for about a minute, thats when the fun starts... the idle drops down and gets reeeeeeal rough and alot of black smoke coming out of the tail pipe and the fuel filter is very full. now mind you i also put in a new fuel filter. i look down in the carb and there is a steady stream of gas coming out of the jets and the float bowl is so full that i can't see a line on the sight glass on the carburator. i wound up having to adjust the idle and timing just to make the truck some what driveable to get to work yesterday. last night i changed out the pump and reinstalled the old pump, reset my adjustments and seemed to run better, less smoke and idled smoother. this morning i get up to take my roommate to work and the fast idle cam isn't working... the choke works just fine like it has been, but i have to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it at a decent idle to warm up. i put it in reverse and rolled out of the driveway and let off the clutch with the accelerator pressed a little like i always have done........stalled. forgot to mention it has been a pain to start when hot since monday morning. this morning i could not get it refired and smelled gas. we pushed it back in to the driveway, he wound up walking to work and i may have to take the bus to work. i popped the lid on the air filter housing and looked inside and the barrels where half full of gas. almost affraid to even see if the charcoal canister is full of the stuff too. is it a possibility that i got a fuel pump that was set for a much higher pressure? and if so did this pump possibly kill my little fun truck? when i can i'll be returning the new pump and try and get my money back. the pump is an airtek brand sold through autozone and their website and salesperson assured me this was the right pump. please help. don't want to be bus bound again. has been an awesome little truck up till sunday.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM

When you overhaul the carb, make sure to check the float that it dosen't have a hole in it.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 AM

i havn't touched the inside of the carb, was just the mechanical fuel pump on the cylinder head. also need to know what brand and model my carb is or what was commonly put on this truck.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Look on the carb body for any numbers

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM

This is probably what you need. I strongly urge you if you kit it, check the float. Kits do not include them. Checking the float for holes, down in a cup of water (how I do it), comes back to the top, floats it is good.
87 1987 Mazda B2000 Carburetor Repair Kit - Carburetion - Royze - PartsGeek

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 AM

any carb work will have to wait till the 11th when i get paid. i replaced the O2 sensor with a new one and it seems to help a bit. still a pain to start and i know this will only kill the new sensor but was $17. the fuel level has stabilized tonight in the float bowl and the filter, just alot of fuel dribbling out of the secondary jet, primary is nice and dry and can see the fine fuel spray.. the secondary has a dribble.