Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

fuel issues continued...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Default fuel issues continued...

I am the new owner of an ’84 Mazda B2000 pickup… Since my last post, I've solved the issue of getting fuel to the carburetor by simply hardwiring a toggle switch running from the battery directly to the frame mounted fuel pump, but now I’ve encountered a catch twenty-two because when I turn on the pump it properly dispenses fuel in to the carb bowl but soon overfills and floods the engine. I was told that turning on the pump and then starting the engine would run fine but now that seems to be an unacceptable solution. So I’m wondering if there’s a regulator that I’m forgetting to wire into or else is there a mechanical regulator that needs be dealt with. I really need to fix this issue since manually turning the fuel pump on and off every forty seconds whilst driving is quite an annoyance and unfeasible. I just need this pickup as a daily driver to work, but thus far I haven’t been able to drive it more than five miles with any absolute trust. I had the fuel pump running intermittently before re-engineering the wiring to the pump. I would just toggle the fuse in the fuse block back and forth with my fingers and it’d kick on whenever it could but something’s not regulating as it should…I am obviously mechanically hopeless but I’m patient if someone can properly advise me on what to do to rectify this dire situation.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Default RE: fuel issues continued...

It sounds like you have to much fuel pressure, and is over powering the needle.
Has the OE pump been swapped?
Make sure the return line is free and clear

Old 11-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Possibly the float has a hole in it or it needs a new needle and seat. They did have a problem with the screws holding the carb together backing out from the aircleaner assembly pulling on it. A simple carb overhaul would most likely solve the problem.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 PM

yah i agree with zedhead i think it has to do with fuel pressure. how much r u running. u only need something like 7 psi. thats probably all thats wrong.