Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Bad tranny? Rear tires frozen when in 4 wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Default Bad tranny? Rear tires frozen when in 4 wheel

Hi,

I have a 2000 B3000 Auto 4x4 andIm not sure if the tranny is going. Some quick background info is that the transmission fluid was changed about a year ago at a mechanic, and I just added a little over a quart yesterday (it does leak underneath a little and has been for at least two years) and after a cold start the truck always had a little delay when starting from a stop but when it warms up it goes away a little. Now to the problem. When the truck is in reverse it backs up just fine. When its inany gear that goes forward it will act like it is about to start moving but then stop (the best way I can compare it is if you tried to drivea car with your e-brake on without knowing it).I do know that the rear right tire did spin when I tried to get going however I also noticed that when I put it in 4 wheel driveI did get my truck to move a few feet but thenseen that both rear tires left drag marksin my grass.I thought it may be the tranny since it a lot of the symptoms are saying its the trannybut what would cause my rears tires to lock once in 4 wheel drive? It can't be frozen brakes (I have drums in the rear in case that matters) because the truck wouldn't go in reverse if that were the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Default RE: Bad tranny? Rear tires frozen when in 4 wheel

Sounds like maybe the rear output from your transfer case. If your front tires are spinning just fine, that means power is being transmitted through the tranny to the transfer case and out to the front tires, if the rears are dragging and the fronts spinning, that's where I'd look. If you're saying that all (4) tires stop going, then I'd look into the transmission.

Any noises associated with the rear tires not spinning? I'd think it would make one hell of a crunching sound.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 PM

No I do not hear any crunching noises at all.

I had a friend come over today so I can see what is actually happening in the rear. When its in regular two wheel drive, the truck won't move forward while the pedal is being depressed at normal RPM (around 1K to 1500) but when he put it up to about 2500-3000RPM, the passenger side rear tire began spinning and the whole truck started moving forward slowly. During that time I did see the driver side rear tire rotate (but Im not sure if its because the whole truck was moving or if power was actually beingsent to that wheel). He said that when the truck was moving forward that it felt like the whole truck was hopping (or shaking up/down)real bad.

Could this symptom still be the transfer case if the rear wheel was in fact spinning? Does the "hopping" feeling inside the truck mean anything? I did notice the hopping feeling yesterday but thought it was just the front tires trying to get a grip while my whole truck was in the grass. However when my friend was driving it the entire truck was on concrete.

Thanks again for any help.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Just a follow up, it was the emergency brake that was stuck on the rear tire. I jacked up the back and wiggled the line and now it goes fine. Thanks sstlaurefor replying to my original post though. It is appreciated.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM

That was going to be my next suggestion based on your new comments. Glad you got it worked out.