Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2200 Piston Rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Default B2200 Piston Rings

Can a ring job be done with out pulling out the motor?
and can the piston and rod be removed with out dropping crank?
I only have a 2 day time frame to change rings as I travel.

Thanks
92 b2200

Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM

It IS possible if your block is not worn to the point of having a step at the top of the cylinder bore, if it does have a step the rings wont clear it and you gotta pull them out from the bottom. Why are you doing a ring job and not honing/cleaning up the bores also?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM

I got a blue cloud on most cold starts. I just want to change the oil rings as the truck it self is rusted to hell. It only has 126 000 KM or around 85 000 miles. was hoping to change em with out the pulling the motor.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 PM

It could be you just need new valve guide seals, they could be hard and brittle letting oil travel down the stems when the truck sits overnight. Try a compression test (dry then wet, cold and hot) first to determine if your rings really are bad.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 AM

Im pretty sure its the rings because the oil gets black within 100km and it seems to be thin and smelling of fuel. compression numbers wet and dry will only indicate that my compression rings are good but have little bearing on how good the oil rings are. (i think) right?
I have a spare, rebuilt cyl head i may put on first.

I have tried a leak down about 2 months ago and there seamed to be alot of dipstick breeze but not much else.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 AM

Chances are greater that the "blue cloud" at start up is Valve guides & not rings.. If it was rings, chances are greater that the blue cloud would be constant..

Bring your questions to Mazdatrucking.com Forum Mazda Trucking is a forum dedicated to nothing, but classic Mazda trucks.. the guys over there know their stuff.. all the ins & outs..

I have owned 10 trucks & 4 MPV's.. My current is a 90 B2600i 4x4

Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pantharen
Chances are greater that the "blue cloud" at start up is Valve guides & not rings.
Are the guides replaceable on this engine by chance? I know some are easy to replace, some can be replaced but just arent worth it and some you just replace the head cause you cant change them.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

ok thanks dude. Hey, hows the island weather. used to live in comox and i know it wouldnt be cold enough for my truck smoke in the morning. lol

Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sean-182@hotmail.com
Im pretty sure its the rings because the oil gets black within 100km and it seems to be thin and smelling of fuel. compression numbers wet and dry will only indicate that my compression rings are good but have little bearing on how good the oil rings are. (i think) right?
I have a spare, rebuilt cyl head i may put on first.

I have tried a leak down about 2 months ago and there seamed to be alot of dipstick breeze but not much else.
If oil is migrating into the combustion section of the cylinder it has to pass through the compression rings. If the compresion is good, as stated valve SEALS, not guides is where the oil is entering into the cylinder.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Default rings

Hi, I'm having the same problem smokes blue at start up only,I have good compression all the way across put new valve guide seals in and it dose the same should i have soaked the seals first?Any input would be great!

Quick Reply: B2200 Piston Rings