Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

88 B2200 Check Light is ON. How to get Diagnostic Code from computer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Default 88 B2200 Check Light is ON. How to get Diagnostic Code from computer

My truck check light is on and I wanted to know how can I read the diagnostic code from the vehicles computer. Has any one used a electronic code reader? Where do I plug the reader? I couldnt find the adapter for it. Or even does 88 b2200 has a adapter for a reader.

any help would be appreciated?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Default RE: 88 B2200 Check Light is ON. How to get Diagnostic Code from computer

By grounding a 1 pin connector on the passenger side firewall under the hood. It might be the mileage counter tripped though. There is a 1 pin connector under the left side dash just above the kick panel you disconnect to reset it.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Default RE: 88 B2200 Check Light is ON. How to get Diagnostic Code from computer

At 60K miles, 80K, 120K, etc., the Malfunction Indicator Light will come on, supposedly so you get dealer to check emissions but more likely so they can try to sell you a timing belt replacement. By the way, do get the timing belt replaced every 60K miles, and maybe get the water pump changed at the 120K point along with it, as it's an internal water pump, behind the timing belt, and mine started leaking at that point, so it's a big labor savings $$$ to do both at once. The Malfunction Indicator Light is re-set by swapping a wire push-on connector under the dash, driver side, right next to the firewall; it's hard to see, lie down and look up, there will be a bare connector, just swap it, then swap back next time the light goes on at that set interval.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I have about 164000 miles on my truck and not sure what else needs to be changed. Actually I bought this truck 2 years ago. Some one told me that I need to go to Autozone and buy a trouble code reader and read the trouble code. Is that something i should do?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM

No. As i said earlier ground the 1 pin connector on the passenger side at the firewall. With the key on count the check engine light flashs. 1 long = 10 1 short = 1

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM

My manuals say the 88 B2200 doesn't have the MIL. The MIL started in 89. An 88 should have an emission maintenance warning light. Quoting from the manual:

The emission maintenance warning light system consists of an instrument panel mounted amber lens that is electrically connected to a sensor module located under the insturment panel. The purpose of the system is to alert the driver that emission system maintenance is required.

The system actually measures accumulated vehicle ignition key on-time and is designed to continuously close an electrical circuit to the amber lens after 2000 hours of vehicle operation. Assuming an average vehicle speed of 30 mph, the 2000 hours equates to approximately 60,000 miles of vehicle operation. Actual vehicle mileage intervals will vary considerably as individual driving habits vary.

Every time the ignition is switched on, the warning light will glow for 2-5 seconds as a bulb check and to verify that the system is operating properly. When approximately 60,000 miles is reached, the warning light will remain on continuously to indacate that service is required. After the required maintenance is performed, the sensor must be reset for another 60,000 mile period. The sensor module is located above the right front corner of the glove box assembly.

RESETTING

1987-88 Models

1. Make sure the ignition key is OFF.
2. Locate the sensor (above the right front corner of the glove box), and lightly push a Phillips screwdriver or small rod tool through the 0.2 inch diameter hole with the sticker labeled "RESET" and lightly press down and hold.
3. While lightly holding the screwdriver or tool down, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. The emission warning light will then light and should remain on for as long as the screwdrvier is held down. Hold the screwdriver down for approximately 5 seconds.
4. Remove the screwdrvier or tool. The lamp should go out within 2-5 seconds, indicating that a reset has occurred. If the light remains on, begin again at Step 1. If the light goes out, turn the ignition off and go to the next Step.
5. Turn the ignition to the RUN position. The warning light should illuminate for 2-5 seconds and then go out. This verifies that a proper reset of the module has been accomplished. If the light remains on, repeat the reset procedure.

HTH

Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 PM

I finally got to something. I did the counting and it comes to 16. How can find out what 16 means? What does this code represent?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM

(1) I have a Factory 1988 B2200 manual which states '88 does have a MIL.
(2) I have a 1988 B2200 (U.S.)
(3) Mine has a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) that I re-set every 60K miles.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Your factory manual trumps my Chilton manual. It wouldn't be the first time the Haynes or Chilton manual has been wrong.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 PM

Well the trouble code tells me that the EGR Valve Position sensor has a problem. I removed the egr valve and cleaned it up as others have done. But I still have the light.

I tried calling around asking for a egr valve sensor and no one seems to have it.

How can I really find out if its the egr valve sensor or the egr valve causing the problem?

Quick Reply: 88 B2200 Check Light is ON. How to get Diagnostic Code from computer