Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

2.3 liter timing belt change unable to rotate engine by hand

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Default 2.3 liter timing belt change unable to rotate engine by hand

I have a 94 Mazda B2300 SOHC 2.3 liter engine I am tuning up and doing a timing belt change. I am to the point where I have all the plugs out and am trying to rotate the engine to find TDC. I noticed the timing belt has a pretty good amount of slack where it winds around on the right when I am facing the engine but otherwise seems tight the rest of the way around. My issue is I am not able to rotate the engine using a socket on the crankshaft bolt more than about 90 degrees before I feel a good amount of resistance. This happens going either way. I am pretty sure I read the correct way is clockwise. The engine was running on 3 cylinders the last time I shut it off but was running. I am pretty sure this is a non interference engine. What could be causing the resistance and how would you troubleshoot it? I'm thinking the timing belt may have skipped a tooth or two or there is something bad wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Sounds like it's just valve spring pressure. There are numerous timing marks. Best bet is google it and click images to see the marks. The cam gear has a triangle and a straight slot. Be sure you get those right. That is an easy timing belt once you get the wraparound bracket off,

Old 10-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Default Figured it out

Thanks for the reply.
I am maybe not such a big an idiot as you are going to think I am because at least it did just "come to me" driving home from work tonight. Stupid thing is in gear. Uhhh! Duh -)

Well, Nobody on the vids or in the book said to take the damn thing out of gear. But any idiot would know to do that. -) Oh well, turns fine several rotations now so no problem. Anyway, maybe my stupid post will help someone else down the road. My timing belt assembly has raised notches on the crank and cam pulleys and plastic pieces with slits to line them up with. One is confusing because it has two slits so not sure which one to use to line up. Have you seen this setup? Thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:11 PM

I suppose there are different configurations. Best bet is to google it and click images. I don't recall seeing one with just slots on the cam gear though. Should be a triangle and a slot. That one has a balance shaft that must be timed also. If you go that far i would put a new tensioner on it, No fun to do on that one but it would be a good idea.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM

Hey proveglia99, My dad used to say "you have to be pretty smart to figure out how dumb you are!"

I did this job a few years ago on a 97 with the 2.3L engine. It is the same as a Ford Ranger 2.3L.

I got help on the Ford Forum. You have to have Nr.1 on compression stroke and match diamond to diamond marks and triangle to triangle marks because the cam position sensor sits at the oil pump.

Here is the link to my conversation.'97 Ranger 2.3L--Mazda B2300 timing belt question - Page 2 - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 AM

I figured out the "slots" the one plastic piece with the two slots is under the accessory / oil pump gear and doesn't have to line up, just the cam and crank which I did figure out, It is a diamond on the cam. I got it TDS and thanks that is a great idea about replacing the tensioner. Oh, and it Does mention in the Haynes to put the truck in neutral when starting the timing belt replacement.

Last edited by poveglia99; 10-23-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:46 PM

The oil pump pulley must be timed, it drives the cam sensor.