Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

temperature gauge

Old 10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Default temperature gauge

i am having problems with my temp gauge when i drive.as im drving it goes up and then down.when i accelrate it goes down and when i stop it goes up.so if anyone can please help me with this problem.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Default RE: temperature gauge

It is normal for the temp to fluctuate a little. It can creep up when stopped due to less air flow across the radiator. And will go down when speeding up because the engine is speeding up, alsomore air across the radiator. Has the thermostat been replaced?

Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 PM

yes the thermostat was replaced and if thats what it is then thanx alot i just didnt want my car to over heat ou know.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 PM

Keep an eye on the temp gauge and as long as it don't go over about half way, you will be okay.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:53 PM

you should also check your engine coolant

Old 10-21-2005, 02:09 AM

well then i think there is a problem because my temp gauge goes well over the middle sometimes and worries me but i dont know if there is any sensore that i should change or what.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:04 PM

I've never had this problem with my Mazda, but my Jeep did the same thing. After wasting almost $250 at local auto shops, I pulled the radiator in the process of pulling the engine for a rebuild. Discovered it was partially clogged, which restricted the coolant flow. There is a sensor, two actually. One for the ECU and one for the gauge. It wouldn't cost much to get the radiator looked at by a radiator shop, but you'd have to pull it out (which isn't difficult). Check the level and condition of the coolant, if it's funky, you can pull the radiator as you'd have to drain it anyway.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Try testing the coolant temp as well to see if you actually are overheating or is just a gauge concern. Pull the radiator cap and stick a thermometer in there to see what actual coolant temp is as it is warming up. The thermostat should start opening at around 180'F and be fully open at 203'F. It should continue to heat up untill at around 212'F the cooling fan should come on and bring the temp back down.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Depending on mileage and past maintenance history the radiator can be restricted. I had to replace the radiator on my 95 Protege because the top tank was leaking. I also noticed the temp came down a bit. The radiator costed $125 brand new. Radiator shops as a rule will not touch radiators with plastic tanks as it is not worth it and are almost impossible to reseal after repair.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 AM

true, they won't mess with it. I did a fix on my cracked plastic endtank 2 months ago. It's leaking again. If there is a leak in the cooling system, the coolant won't work best. It works best when under pressure. A restricted radiarot or weak water pump could be the culprit, I'd check the radiator first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temperature gauge